Author Topic: Antrim Football Thread  (Read 1606652 times)

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
Re: Antrim Football Thread
« Reply #13605 on: March 20, 2017, 09:57:48 PM »
I remember playing against Derry in the first round of an under 16 or minor tournament. They turned up in full tracksuits, bags, full kits etc. We ran out with our club gear on and these fruit of the loom yellow t-shirts. All the other teams we played that day were very similar and we were the poor relations. That was a right while ago and things still haven't changed. Saying that it will take a while for this current committee to change things, so will have to give them a chance.

And did we play shit because of it??

No but as a 16-18 year old you do look on in envy. Young lads don't have the same attitude as fellas in their 30s and talk about playing for the pride of the jersey. Of course pride of playing for their county plays a part, but if they don't think they're getting treated the same as their mates in other counties then of course they're not going try as hard. I don't see why fellas on the underage county teams can't get socks, shorts and a training top ffs. How do other counties do it?

Funding

I've seen a couple of teams getting their training kits sponsored and put on fb. Surely there is a business in the county that could sponsor the minor training kit, another that would sponsor the under 16s etc.

Not sure of the the sponsorship deals the county has so can't comment on that but within most clubs the sponsorship runs through to all teams and they can't use other sponsorship..
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

Belfast GAA man

• View Profile
« Reply #13606 on: March 20, 2017, 10:02:19 PM »
Here's a thought I put on another thread but perhaps this is the thread of it:
Belfast GAA had Casement as a jewel in the crown for over 50 years. Due to an Ulster Council run project we have not had Casement for 5 years and likely to be out of commission for another 3 to5 years. Antrim/Belfast GAA doesn't have many things going for it but the honour of playing in Casement was one of them - Should the Ulster Council be paying Antrim GAA for the loss of our historic and iconic venue for a 8 to10 year period? Money we could use to make a new Belfast GAA home in Woodlands or Boucher Road pitches...

BrendanAntrim

• View Profile
« Reply #13607 on: March 20, 2017, 10:12:38 PM »
Why an 8 - 10 year period? Why not for a 25 year period, or for all time? Casement is our pitch, standing on our land, built with money raised by Antrim Gaels. I presume it won't just be handed over for a 'thanks lads'.

Hectic

• View Profile
« Reply #13608 on: March 21, 2017, 09:13:42 AM »
Kit and food are not essential to produce good footballers and hurlers though I appreciate with the like of primary school children they do enjoy a treat attached to involvement and would not leave any party without a party bag. 

If money is tight you look at the essential spend - if money is plentiful then you can look at treating your players to plenty of kit and set up a nutrition program which you yourself implement on match days and even around trainings. 

If food is being provided, as CB pointed out for the U17 and Minor teams in Tyrone then maybe it would be good to go the extra step and organise it to be served at an appropriate time but this is just a minor tweek to what is in place with it already been laid on but maybe not fully thought through.

But seriously, 20+ years ago the idea of getting loads of kit and all your nutrition would have been fairly alien and certainly not something that folk would have had in their sights when attending county trials - so what is changed?  I would suggest that we have reached a stage when a lot of our young lads have been pampered and pandered to to the point they are almost calling the shots.  Yes there is competition from other sports but by the time guys are 16+ they should be past the stage of making their decisions based on a kit bag.

The Gs Man

• View Profile
    • Captain Kennedy
« Reply #13609 on: March 21, 2017, 09:27:07 AM »
The Colleges GAA hotbed of Lurgan!

Yip, you're on (to) something alright.

There'll be a MaCrory Cup in Lurgan within 3 years!  Mark my words ye blurt!
Phosporescent!

JimStynes

• View Profile
« Reply #13610 on: March 21, 2017, 10:19:33 AM »
The Colleges GAA hotbed of Lurgan!

Yip, you're on (to) something alright.

There'll be a MaCrory Cup in Lurgan within 3 years!  Mark my words ye blurt!
St. Ronan's have done well this past few years in the McCrory but the next few years don't look as promising. A lot of lurgan ones go to the Newry schools and St. Pats Armagh as well to be fair.

The Gs Man

• View Profile
    • Captain Kennedy
« Reply #13611 on: March 21, 2017, 11:18:33 AM »
When the St.Ronan's amalgamation properly beds in there'll be no stopping them!

Why do you think the next few years aren't as promising?
Phosporescent!

Rasharkin Gael

• View Profile
« Reply #13612 on: March 21, 2017, 03:37:11 PM »
The Development squad players usually receive a training top, shorts and socks. These are funded by the players selling tickets, each player to raise around 60 if memory serves right.

theskull1

• View Profile
« Reply #13613 on: March 21, 2017, 03:51:47 PM »
They receive a poor fitting training top, shorts and socks that I would say cost 30 tops bulk buy ... and they just about get them at the very end of the season.

50 or 60 quid of tickets ...

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #13614 on: March 21, 2017, 09:42:36 PM »
Big shout out to the 7 strong Antrim contingent involved in tomorrow's Hogan Cup semi final. Not forgetting a valuable contribution from Antrim coaches RD (plays for Cargin) and Antrim legend Kevin Brady who as far as I know is team manager. Huge achievement getting this far hopefully it dosent end tomorrow.

blindside

• View Profile
« Reply #13615 on: March 21, 2017, 10:36:02 PM »
Big shout out to the 7 strong Antrim contingent involved in tomorrow's Hogan Cup semi final. Not forgetting a valuable contribution from Antrim coaches RD (plays for Cargin) and Antrim legend Kevin Brady who as far as I know is team manager. Huge achievement getting this far hopefully it dosent end tomorrow.
Bannside think there are 9
6 creggan 3 starters 3 subs
3 moneyglass 2 starters 1 sub
Plus management

Major contribution to a well drilled team .....fully deserving of their success...hopefully more to come

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #13616 on: March 22, 2017, 06:39:05 AM »
Welcome Blindside.

That's a great stat from an Antrim perspective. Our games are  truly alive, stronger than ever in fact, in the South West.

My daughter is Upper Sixth there and heading down to Drogheda in one of the dozens of buses. Says the buzz round the school is unreal.

SambaSaffron

• View Profile
« Reply #13617 on: March 22, 2017, 08:54:54 AM »
Ronan Devlin is from Ballinderry.

paddyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #13618 on: March 22, 2017, 09:08:57 AM »
Ronan Devlin is from Ballinderry.

We are worse than the Brits trying to claim people lol

blindside

• View Profile
« Reply #13619 on: March 22, 2017, 09:55:09 AM »
Welcome Blindside.

That's a great stat from an Antrim perspective. Our games are  truly alive, stronger than ever in fact, in the South West.

My daughter is Upper Sixth there and heading down to Drogheda in one of the dozens of buses. Says the buzz round the school is unreal.

Agree from what I hear the place is buzzing ...It's a football hotbed living in the shadow of it's neighbour down the road.

It's hard to make the breakthrough against the traditional power houses.

Big ask today though with such a short turn around ...Know the management team were working hard over the weekend doing the analysis and prep   still very hard to bring the guys down to ground again and get in the zone for today's game.

They have been in tight corners and have shown great resilience and character so hopefully they can get over the line later today.

With the breakthrough made the South Derry and Lough Shore combination might kick on and become a regular feature at the business end of the colleges competitions.

From an Antrim perspective there are a few lads at St Pats as well who could be featuring at the business end in the next few years as well.

The big question from a SW side is can St Louis get it together. Don't want to knock them as there has been a lot of good things happening in the school in general but they did look very poor in the Mc Larnon Cup.

Should be doing better with some Dunloy Minors and Ballymena's strong U16 team plus a good smattering of other talented players. Looked very disjointed and poorly coached  ... appreciate it is not the schools primary job but I think they could do better

Perhaps the SW could show some initiative here and provide some coaching assistance/funding .....could be shared in other 2nd level schools   St Pats Ballymena, St Killian's, St Benedict's   ....might even be able to get some funding from Ulster Council ...... could be a call to the current president who I am  sure would be willing to assist if possible