Author Topic: Running  (Read 374116 times)

magpie seanie

• View Profile
Re: Running
« Reply #5685 on: January 09, 2018, 01:34:33 PM »
Folks - anyone recommend somewhere in Galway that's lit and safe for running in the evening? Was thinking the Prom in Salthill but I stay in Ballybrit so hoped for something closer.

Mayo4Sam

• John Says Keep The Faith
    • View Profile
« Reply #5686 on: January 12, 2018, 10:41:58 PM »
How far are you looking to go?

I used to live in Oranmore, drive into GMIT and head for town from there, in along the quays
Round the racetrack is the other option
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #5687 on: Today at 10:24:53 AM »
Cheers. Found a nice short loop of 4k which has got me started but the idea of parking at GMIT and running into town along the quays is an excellent one. Used to run from near the G Hotel out to the start of the prom back in the summer. Racecourse will be ideal in the brighter evenings as well.

TabClear

• View Profile
« Reply #5688 on: Today at 10:55:52 AM »
Looking to get into running seriously this year. I would do a bit of recreational running to keep the weight off (10k a couple of times a week) and have done a couple of longer runs on Sunday in the last month or so. I managed them better than I thought so I would like to keep this up with the aim of doing a marathon (either Belfast or Dublin). Trying to set a target goal for the marathon and have plugged my recent runs into a marathon pace calculator on line

https://www.runnersworld.co.uk/rws-training-pace-calculator

Anybody any experience of using these to set a training plan or should I just take a "off the shelf" plan you get on the marathon sites? I would be reasonably fit an looking to do the marathon in under 3 1/2 hours.

Also looking some advice as to the best shoes to buy. I ve been running in a pair of cheap Nikes but been told that if I am going to start to increase teh distances I shoudl upgrade. Any advice welcome.