Author Topic: Derry Club football and Hurling  (Read 7498399 times)

The Stallion

• View Profile
Re: Derry Club football and Hurling
« Reply #57000 on: March 24, 2017, 12:24:38 PM »
Which question is this now? Do you mean the one where he didn't want to hear my answer?

The Stallion

• View Profile
« Reply #57001 on: March 24, 2017, 12:39:35 PM »
Who should have the job Stallion?  Please don't narrow it down to 'someone who...'

Is this the question? The job should go to someone who is willing and available first and foremost. Of those who fulfill those criteria, I would give it to someone who hasn't been a serial failure throughout his managerial career, who will not persist with the slow sideways handpassing game, and who will not alienate the best players on the County.

Preferably someone who can see that the likes of Holly, Mallon, Lynn, Rodgers etc shouldn't be starting for Derry, although I understand not many would agree with me on all of those.

If you want me to name names I'm afraid I can't without interviewing all prospective managers to ascertain their views on the above matters. Surely that's obvious?

Rawhide

• View Profile
« Reply #57002 on: March 24, 2017, 12:53:32 PM »
Jarleth is a good fella but common sense is not one of his strong points. The "mark" was his baby and is a total waste of time. When you hear anything from him, factor in his drive for GAA President!

I agree his drive is for the top job, but I was unsure of the mark before, but now I think it is worth while not because of what it is meant to do re the catch, but for me the most important part of the rule is if you do make a catch it prevents a swarm of players Tyrone style of 03 surrounding you, I think that aspect is positive.
cccc is a true supporter lol

The Stallion

• View Profile
« Reply #57003 on: March 24, 2017, 12:55:33 PM »
I agree about eliminating the swarm.

restorepride

• View Profile
« Reply #57004 on: March 24, 2017, 05:17:35 PM »
The mark has not been tested yet in the heat of championship battle and as long as short kick outs are allowed to give primary possession,it will remain relatively meaningless.

Wildweasel74

• View Profile
« Reply #57005 on: March 24, 2017, 08:50:55 PM »
Now Stallion i think over the past 5 yrs you have to be starting Lynn, Rodgers too, though not through the centre, who all you play in front of Lynn in the half forward line

Mrs mills

• View Profile
« Reply #57006 on: March 24, 2017, 11:01:10 PM »
Who should have the job Stallion?  Please don't narrow it down to 'someone who...'

Is this the question? The job should go to someone who is willing and available first and foremost. Of those who fulfill those criteria, I would give it to someone who hasn't been a serial failure throughout his managerial career, who will not persist with the slow sideways handpassing game, and who will not alienate the best players on the team.
Preferably someone who can see that the likes of Holly, Mallon, Lynn, Rodgers etc shouldn't be starting for Derry, although I understand not many would agree with me on all of those.

If you want me to name names I'm afraid I can't without interviewing all prospective managers to ascertain their views on the above matters. Surely that's obvious?

Dear God
To think I waited for that! Stallion's next manager doesn't exist, nor do his replacements for those players he named.

Mrs mills

• View Profile
« Reply #57007 on: March 25, 2017, 12:13:25 PM »
What do all the top managers have in common? Gavin, Harte, O'Rourke and Fitzmaurice all remain quiet and composed along the line. I wonder if any one of them was in charge of a struggling team, would he be the same?

Wildweasel74

• View Profile
« Reply #57008 on: March 26, 2017, 03:28:37 PM »
Derry giving away another 20points the day! What passes for defence these days? That us down!  Last time we ended up in division 3 was on the format change to the league 1 year! First time i remember us going down at our own(managers) hands though nearly managed that against westmeath bck in 2012- tyrone saved us that day! All thats left now is been put to the slaughter against tyrone

Mrs mills

• View Profile
« Reply #57009 on: March 26, 2017, 06:02:39 PM »
Derry will beat Fermanagh and Down will lose to Cork. Another week for the Slaughtneil men to bed in to the system and for Lynch and Heavron to get sharper. That's all it will take. Have faith.

The Stallion

• View Profile
« Reply #57010 on: March 26, 2017, 06:33:11 PM »
Faith lol.

braveheart

• View Profile
« Reply #57011 on: March 26, 2017, 06:43:51 PM »
Derry will beat Fermanagh and Down will lose to Cork. Another week for the Slaughtneil men to bed in to the system and for Lynch and Heavron to get sharper. That's all it will take. Have faith.
System?

The Stallion

• View Profile
« Reply #57012 on: March 26, 2017, 07:21:47 PM »
Exactly. There is no system on the evidence to date. But some idiots would have us believe the optimal strategy is to persist and have blind faith rather than replacing the management.

Mrs mills

• View Profile
« Reply #57013 on: March 26, 2017, 07:42:51 PM »
Power, pace, presence and panache. The four Ps to describe the Cork team today. Some of the Rebels had two of those, some had three. Kerrigan had all four. Despite his playing for the opposition, he was a treat to watch.

restorepride

• View Profile
« Reply #57014 on: March 26, 2017, 08:14:56 PM »
There is no system - any good elements today were of a very individual nature.  Mark Lynch owes nothing to Derry but to expect him to turn matches around while clearly not totally fit is too big an ask at this stage.  Trust that young Rocks makes a speedy and full recovery.  We just escaped relegation last year, not sure that papering over the larger cracks now would have much long-term benefit.  Division 3 just might be the real wake-up call needed?