Author Topic: Antrim, the way forward  (Read 36905 times)

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
Re: Antrim, the way forward
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2015, 04:35:26 PM »
I cannot agree that Joe Edwards is anywhere near capable for chair, let alone more than capable. While you praise him on fixtures, cast your mind back to what made Antrim the biggest laughing stock in the country this year, with us being ridiculed on the Sunday Game?

Better the devil you know is a cop out. The devil we know has been a total failure and if we don't try an alternative, now that the opportunity has arisen, we can only blame ourselves. There is no guarantee that the alternative will be better but if you don't try something else, you'll end up with the same result. They have denied that they are scrapping divisional boards btw.

Finally, the fact that a man who has given money to Antrim for the last number of years is unhappy with those using the money says a lot really.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 05:10:41 PM by hardstation »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2015, 05:16:17 PM »
For our current sponsors to stick with the Antrim sponsorship deal in very trying economic times is testimony to their loyalty. That should be commended. That one family member may or may not be involved in trying to instigate a more professional set up is testament to his individual passion to see Antrim punch to their proper weight, and not miles beneath it as has been the case for years.

If he, or any businessman can use any influence to entice a few gaels with proven business acumen to put their hand up for the Saffrons then that has to be applauded, not condemned.

Culchie, you definitely seem very anti this group. Are you not prepared to see what they have to offer when they go out to meet the clubs in the next few weeks....or is your mind closed to the fact that they represent some alterior (fishy) motive. And if so what on earth could that motive be except to make a bold move to put Antrim Gaa on the map.

hardstation

• View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2015, 06:55:16 PM »
There will be a few boys keen to cast their eye over the Treasurer's report this year. Brendan Wilson will need to think hard/be advised well or there could be very serious implications.

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2015, 10:41:06 AM »
You're 100% right there HS. I know one thing. If Pol Mc Canna gets elected as Treasurer he will be forensic about every last detail. The treasurers report this year will need to stand the closest ever scrutiny. If there is the least financial irregularity, or side deal done on a nod and a wink, I can imagine the consequences won't be pretty. The inventory will need to stand up too. Right down to the raw material in the defunct Casement Park.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 10:42:57 AM by bannside »

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2015, 10:55:49 AM »
I know this is slightly off topic but our club Roger Casements have a big fundraising drive on now to build a second pitch and upgrade existing facilities.

We have car loads of club volunteers out selling tickets for a prize draw in neighbouring parishes etc. Next Friday night will see our sixth completed week and hopes are high that by then we will have 100k of sales.

If one club can achieve this in so short a period you have to ask what the bloody hell could our county not do if it was remotely organised!!!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 10:58:29 AM by bannside »

hardstation

• View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2015, 11:30:13 AM »
You're 100% right there HS. I know one thing. If Pol Mc Canna gets elected as Treasurer he will be forensic about every last detail. The treasurers report this year will need to stand the closest ever scrutiny. If there is the least financial irregularity, or side deal done on a nod and a wink, I can imagine the consequences won't be pretty. The inventory will need to stand up too. Right down to the raw material in the defunct Casement Park.
There is one line in particular under Income that some are waiting to read. If it is reported the same way as it has been in previous years, the boys may think about getting their suits left into the dry cleaners. It has been made abundantly clear to them by various legal teams that they have been reporting falsely so they have no excuse.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 11:32:43 AM by hardstation »

JimStynes

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2015, 05:21:22 PM »
Joe Edwards as chair  ::) ::) Jesus christ

SaffronHeart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2015, 08:49:42 PM »
What club is Brendan Wilson associated with now McDs are gone? Surely you should have to be a member of a club to be on a county board. In my eyes he is a prime example of a person who serves his own interests rather than whats best for the county. From what I know about Terry Reilly (the supposed organiser) he is an Antrim man through and through who has Antrims best interests at heart.

hardstation

• View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2015, 09:14:04 PM »
What club is Brendan Wilson associated with now McDs are gone? Surely you should have to be a member of a club to be on a county board. In my eyes he is a prime example of a person who serves his own interests rather than whats best for the county. From what I know about Terry Reilly (the supposed organiser) he is an Antrim man through and through who has Antrims best interests at heart.
Brendan Wilson is a member of O'Donnells GAC. Only to facilitate his position on county executive mind you. He's as much an O'Donnells man as Kim Jong-un.

Sure, same as Jim Murray & St Johns.

brendanbelfast

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2015, 10:16:15 PM »
I'm quite happy to explain why I'm prepared to go forward again; I think I can (i) do a good job as PRO and (ii) play a useful role as part of a wider group which has a shared vision for our county. It is also clear to me that the group seeking election are prepared to put in the effort and energy to try and change Antrim for the better.

So on the basis that we can either wait around and hope for change to come about, or try and actually change things, I'm going with the second option.

hardstation

• View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2015, 10:26:58 PM »
I suppose the obvious question is, what made you jack it last time that you don't foresee as a problem this time?

brendanbelfast

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2015, 10:46:32 PM »
If the new group gets elected en masse then everything is changed, its a chance for the county to make a new start.

hardstation

• View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2015, 11:25:23 PM »
If the new group gets elected en masse then everything is changed, its a chance for the county to make a new start.
Completely agree. We have been crying out for a fresh start for years. If we don't take it now, we deserve everything we get and can feck up complaining about them.

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2015, 10:36:50 AM »
I wonder when the Saffron Vision group will start to get round the county to articulate their vision to the clubs and regional boards. This will be essential because there is a clear misunderstanding  amongst some that this group are a bunch of businessmen who have no relevant experience in the world of Gaa officialdom.

Knowing a lot of the group, nothing could be further from the truth, but the club officers who mandate their delegates at AGM would need this level of assurance too. A round of meetings should adequately clear up this misconception.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 10:38:54 AM by bannside »

culchie11

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2015, 08:48:55 PM »
Bannside I don't think clubs should facilitate such talks or clarification process. They issued their statement now let it run and let clubs vote. I for one wouldn't let mr Reilly come talk to anyone after a voicemail I heard he left the south Antrim chair, bully boy tactics r still alive and well in the west! If I was IT literate I would post it here for all to listen.

U should also talk to ur own club as some I spoke today at cargin game that aren't on same hymn sheet as urself in no uncertain terms!