Author Topic: ANTRIM HURLING  (Read 3130496 times)

north_antrim_hound

• View Profile
Re: ANTRIM HURLING
« Reply #36210 on: April 03, 2017, 07:52:00 PM »
Well done to all involved on the promotion.

I think we should be looking at Wexford over the next year or so and show what progress can be made when a group fully commits to a philosophy.

Antrim were on a par with Wexford in recent years, slightly behind to be fair but there or there abouts. So I think great encouragement can be taken from this type of situation as a template.

Was thinking the same thing myself Nag
We beat them ( wexford ) at u21 fair and square
Lee Chin, Connor Mc Donald and guiney where all on the pitch that day and they where prolific In the beating of Kilkenny yesterday
If we applied ourselves we could be doing better
I just wish Ryan mc ambridge, Saul , Connolly  would commit
Young murphy and Rooney are two big finds this year
Plenty of young players coming through as well, Coby and Molloy, eamon smith from my club
Smith already has the physical attributes
Imm Sure there is players from Belfast to and the rest of N Antrim

Our county current team are very honest and have been  knocking their pans in since last year and I hope they can get a christy ring
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 07:55:51 PM by north_antrim_hound »

Gizzy15

• View Profile
« Reply #36211 on: April 03, 2017, 10:49:14 PM »
Well done to all involved on the promotion.

I think we should be looking at Wexford over the next year or so and show what progress can be made when a group fully commits to a philosophy.

Antrim were on a par with Wexford in recent years, slightly behind to be fair but there or there abouts. So I think great encouragement can be taken from this type of situation as a template.

+1

Was thinking the same thing myself Nag
We beat them ( wexford ) at u21 fair and square
Lee Chin, Connor Mc Donald and guiney where all on the pitch that day and they where prolific In the beating of Kilkenny yesterday
If we applied ourselves we could be doing better
I just wish Ryan mc ambridge, Saul , Connolly  would commit
Young murphy and Rooney are two big finds this year
Plenty of young players coming through as well, Coby and Molloy, eamon smith from my club
Smith already has the physical attributes
Imm Sure there is players from Belfast to and the rest of N Antrim

Our county current team are very honest and have been  knocking their pans in since last year and I hope they can get a christy ring

BrendanAntrim

• View Profile
« Reply #36212 on: April 03, 2017, 11:50:31 PM »
With the new system in place whereby the CR winners enter the AI qualifiers, we could find ourselves in the Liam McCarthy competition this year...no shortage of games for the hurlers with league, Ulster c'ship, CR Cup and potentially AI series.

Gizzy15

• View Profile
« Reply #36213 on: April 04, 2017, 12:34:07 AM »
With the new system in place whereby the CR winners enter the AI qualifiers, we could find ourselves in the Liam McCarthy competition this year...no shortage of games for the hurlers with league, Ulster c'ship, CR Cup and potentially AI series.

Not wanting to sound too negative but I hope this doesn't result in a shortage of club games for a few of the best months of the year for hurling. Think if there is a county fixture overload then the CB and clubs affected should just bite the bullet so to speak and plough on with the club scene.

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36214 on: April 04, 2017, 07:10:09 AM »
CR usually Saturday fixtures??
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

johnneycool

• who loves ya baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36215 on: April 04, 2017, 09:19:11 AM »

yes.

It's a big ask on lads to play two days on the bounce but we've been asking our lads to do if for years.

paddyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #36216 on: April 04, 2017, 09:20:35 AM »

Normally yeah. A very rare occasion on a Sunday.

NAG1

• View Profile
« Reply #36217 on: April 04, 2017, 09:23:31 AM »

Then we will have the player welfare issue of teams not wanting to play on the sunday after their main men are tired or injured from the day before.

I think we need to suck it up this season and make a push with the county team and the clubs all pushing hard at the same time. Keep the league running and hopefully get a CR title something to build on for next year.

btdtgtt

• View Profile
« Reply #36218 on: April 04, 2017, 09:31:59 AM »
As problems go it's not a bad one to have!

Let's hope we qualify and keep a vibrant club scene going - bumper summer hurling could set us up for few years to come.
Imagine the county team going well and loads of club games where guys suddenly want to get noticed by the county management.

Small acorns and all that!

paddyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #36219 on: April 04, 2017, 09:41:21 AM »

Then we will have the player welfare issue of teams not wanting to play on the sunday after their main men are tired or injured from the day before.

I think we need to suck it up this season and make a push with the county team and the clubs all pushing hard at the same time. Keep the league running and hopefully get a CR title something to build on for next year.

I remember going to one in Swatragh quite a few years ago when Derry played Carlow on a Sunday.

BrendanAntrim

• View Profile
« Reply #36220 on: April 04, 2017, 11:54:26 AM »
They are all on Saturdays this year. 8 teams in total, if a team goes unbeaten they play 4 games in total, finishing with final on June 10th.

Usain

• View Profile
« Reply #36221 on: April 04, 2017, 11:57:08 AM »
Playing CR games on either Saturdays or Sundays should have no impact on club games IMO. We need to put the 99% of our playing population ahead of the elite few. Club league games must go ahead regardless of county team action.

I noticed young Dillon played for Armoy on Sunday at midfield after playing for county last Saturday. Fair play to him. Lets just get on with it and if the county lads don't want to play two days in the row that's also alright and their clubs have to respect that.

johnneycool

• who loves ya baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36222 on: April 04, 2017, 12:20:27 PM »
Playing CR games on either Saturdays or Sundays should have no impact on club games IMO. We need to put the 99% of our playing population ahead of the elite few. Club league games must go ahead regardless of county team action.

I noticed young Dillon played for Armoy on Sunday at midfield after playing for county last Saturday. Fair play to him. Lets just get on with it and if the county lads don't want to play two days in the row that's also alright and their clubs have to respect that.

What happens if the young lad doesn't want to play two games in a row and decides to pull out of the county squad, would the county management respect that?

Usain

• View Profile
« Reply #36223 on: April 04, 2017, 12:46:01 PM »

What happens if the young lad doesn't want to play two games in a row and decides to pull out of the county squad, would the county management respect that?

Probably not but county team/manager need to waken up and realise that they cant hold the club game to ransom all the time.

btdtgtt

• View Profile
« Reply #36224 on: April 04, 2017, 01:50:39 PM »

Probably not but county team/manager need to waken up and realise that they cant hold the club game to ransom all the time.

Totally agree - but the reality is they can and do.
Hopefully we buck the trend this year.