Author Topic: Antrim Football Thread  (Read 1541088 times)

Gold

• talk is cheap but it takes money to buy hot dogs..
    • View Profile
Re: Antrim Football Thread
« Reply #13590 on: March 19, 2017, 06:51:28 PM »
Magic!
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #13591 on: March 19, 2017, 07:23:02 PM »
Superb result at Corrigan and no small amount of character and spirit displayed to grind out the two points.

Had a pint in Heffrons Bar in Randalstown on the way home and another back in Portglenone and there were people in both bars who were at the match. The players and management have a lifeline now which may come down to our last game at home against Longford. We would all have settled for this a few weeks ago but since then we have beaten Sligo and Laois and gave previously unbeaten Louth their fill of it....so it looks like we arnt out of our depth at all in this division. Not that I'm surprised as I believe we have plenty of good footballers in the county

Fair play to all involved....Credit where it's due. Up the Saffrons.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 07:28:26 PM by bannside »

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #13592 on: March 19, 2017, 09:42:13 PM »
Paddy Mc Aleer had some game today and so too Paddy Mc Bride. Peter Healy looking more comfortable with every outing as does Conor Hamill. Going to make for very interesting choices for starting berths with Kobo, James Laverty, Niall Delargy and Martin Johnston still in the mix for the last two games. Great to see genuine competition for starting places...this is exactly what we need.

We don't have many superstars in Antrim but we have plenty of good honest players who are proud to wear the jersey. For those who have gone awol for one reason or another I would say just keep on walking because the supporters are happier to see a jersey go to someone else who really wants it.

country bumpkin

• View Profile
« Reply #13593 on: March 19, 2017, 10:49:11 PM »
Paddy Mc Aleer had some game today and so too Paddy Mc Bride. Peter Healy looking more comfortable with every outing as does Conor Hamill. Going to make for very interesting choices for starting berths with Kobo, James Laverty, Niall Delargy and Martin Johnston still in the mix for the last two games. Great to see genuine competition for starting places...this is exactly what we need.

We don't have many superstars in Antrim but we have plenty of good honest players who are proud to wear the jersey. For those who have gone awol for one reason or another I would say just keep on walking because the supporters are happier to see a jersey go to someone else who really wants it.
[/quote
Pray tell Bannside who are those players who have 'walked'.......??

Who all has left the panel?

paddyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #13594 on: March 19, 2017, 11:04:10 PM »

Who all has left the panel?

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13595 on: March 19, 2017, 11:16:44 PM »
They obviously didn't get the right free lunch so left! Will they give their free gear back?
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

country bumpkin

• View Profile
« Reply #13596 on: March 20, 2017, 07:58:45 AM »
Great win to ease our relegation fears with a lot of stand our performers but again a very poor crowd at Corrigan.
Have seen more at an under-12 game.

Hectic

• View Profile
« Reply #13597 on: March 20, 2017, 10:40:08 AM »
They obviously didn't get the right free lunch so left! Will they give their free gear back?

Maybe the fact we are winning our home games is because the boys have been fed before they left home and are not starved like they are by the time they walk onto the pitch playing away.  Perhaps a carvery lunch on the way to every away game and we could be in division 1.

paddyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #13598 on: March 20, 2017, 11:12:43 AM »

Maybe the fact we are winning our home games is because the boys have been fed before they left home and are not starved like they are by the time they walk onto the pitch playing away.  Perhaps a carvery lunch on the way to every away game and we could be in division 1.

Fitzy can't be expected to pay for all those lunches...

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #13599 on: March 20, 2017, 11:30:57 AM »
Never worry about who has left the panel. There will always be someone to take their place. No one is irreplaceable! When players think they are doing the county a favour by turning up it is time for them to move along. Simple as!

They arnt calling the shots anymore. There are lots of capable players around who still feel it's an honour to pull on the Saffron shirt.

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #13600 on: March 20, 2017, 11:35:30 AM »
Like most counties Antrim are burdened with hefty debt due to a lot of historical reasons that the new committee inherited. I was astounded to hear what the total was....and we need somehow find a six figure sum to complete Dunsilly.

Anyone up for joining the fundraising committee???

paddyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #13601 on: March 20, 2017, 11:50:49 AM »
Never worry about who has left the panel. There will always be someone to take their place. No one is irreplaceable! When players think they are doing the county a favour by turning up it is time for them to move along. Simple as!

They arnt calling the shots anymore. There are lots of capable players around who still feel it's an honour to pull on the Saffron shirt.

I agree everybody can be replaced, but who are those who left the panel and why did they? I know Tomas McCann has left, surely it wouldn't be right to tell him to keep on walking after the service he has given or doubt his honesty to the cause.

country bumpkin

• View Profile
« Reply #13602 on: March 20, 2017, 12:03:28 PM »
Join a fund raising committee BS....sure we cannot get anyone to atttend our games......a huge population in West Belfast and in our league games in Corrigan '17....a paltry few.

country bumpkin

• View Profile
« Reply #13603 on: March 20, 2017, 12:27:52 PM »
Join a fund raising committee BS....sure we cannot get anyone to atttend our games......a huge population in West Belfast and in our league games in Corrigan '17....a paltry few.
Like most counties Antrim are burdened with hefty debt due to a lot of historical reasons that the new committee inherited. I was astounded to hear what the total was....and we need somehow find a six figure sum to complete Dunsilly.

Anyone up for joining the fundraising committee???
Think a lot of clubs, my own included did spend a lotta money over the years in upgrading our facilities and were left to our own devices to gather the funds.
Where was the money spent to accumulate such historical debt I wonder?
How much have we paid out to claimants I wonder ?
In any event in the tenure of the SV committee over 17 months what fund raising ventures were initiated ?
Seems we are taking the "austerity" route to mimic another body.
Deny our future proper care is the sure road to ruin....
And for your info BS the present u 17 and munor squads have received "NO GEAR" as you describe, at all not even the basic socks and togs. They have looken on in awe as in their games thus far the can only look on at oppositio who are treated as to status with training tops, skinnys, etc.
Had to play on Sat without even  sandwich post game.
In contrast Tyrone who played Derry 17 and minor on Sat had a hot food van in attendance during games to suppy and both panels returned to the "Tilly Lamp Resturant" post games for dinner.
Wonder why Tyrone are up there and we are down here in the basement....
Jeez we ask go and do our bidding lads, train hard give up your evenings and week-ends for our cause..and let us know how u get on because we won't be ther to lend support.

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #13604 on: March 20, 2017, 12:40:51 PM »
The info I got on Tomas was that he was taking a break but I'd expected him back in a few weeks. Subject to correction of course.

I'm not going to go through all the names but anybody who knows anything about football in Antrim could name at least half a dozen quality players who haven't made themselves available for one reason or another. They are fully entitled to not make themselves available if they have a reason for doing so. Some might have work commitments, others may think thd set up wasn't up to their expectations, or any other reason.

The thing is we can get keep talking about the players who arnt there. Tomas is a class act no doubt and no one can fault his commitment to Antrim....but if he isn't coming back then that's that and the jersey goes to someone who does want it. The show must hold on!