Author Topic: The Official Roscommon Thread  (Read 31870 times)

Syferus

• View Profile
Re: The Official Roscommon Thread
« Reply #510 on: March 27, 2017, 02:15:14 PM »
Roscommon are the only team in the top two divisions that don't play any sort of a defensive system. No signs of any structure to their defence and they give the opposition so much time and room on the ball to either kick pass or shoot for points. In that type of chaos even Dublin or Mayos best individual defender would look average in.

League football is there to show signs of encouragement for the championship ahead yet for Roscommon they seem to be getting worse the longer the league has gone on. Don't care how good Dublin are when you lose any game by 21 points and concede 2-29 you have simply down your tools. Biggest concern for McStay is he seems to have lost the dressing room before the championship looking at him in recent interviews I don't think he believes half the nonsense he says it sounds scripted and he looks to have aged 10 years in the last 12 months.

The joint management was given 3 years but lasted 1 year in hindsight they should have done 2 years and if it didn't work out then both McStay and O Donnell should have left together and then have a fresh start in 2018 .

McStay should have put in a proper defensive structure. Probably fluting around with the stuff Liam was at with Mayo back in 2004 and we all know how that ended that September. Can't see McStay change now though.

Last time we were relegated we won Connacht, Moy.

Yer not exactly looking like yer up to much yerselves..

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #511 on: March 27, 2017, 04:21:23 PM »
Oliver has some love affair going with Johneen Evans.
If he's that good I presume he's been snapped up by some other County.
As for McStay McHale. .... major disappointment to put it mildly.
No game plan,  no defence strategy, no sign of improvement or settled 3,6,8,9,14 after 6 NFL games, opposite g forwards getting loads of shooting practice, lot of better players sitting at home.....
And now we're hearing waffle about 3 year plans.
Got news for you Kevin - you're half way through it already and we're regressing at a rate of knots.
2016 - Hurling League Champions, Football League Semi finalists

oliverkelly

• View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 27, 2017, 04:31:43 PM »
No game plan,  no defence strategy, no sign of improvement or settled 3,6,8,9,14 after 6 NFL games, opposite g forwards getting loads of shooting practice, lot of better players sitting at home.....
Got news for you Kevin - you're half way through it already and we're regressing at a rate of knots.

The reason I have such a big opinion of Evans is because he is the only senior manager we have made progress under in last 15 years.  No he hasn't been snapped up by anyone yet I am sure now that his wife is recovering he may look for a job for next year and I am sure he will get one if it suits.

McStay/McHale have been a disaster so far like it was last year with O Donnell/Casey/Bohan/McStay/McHale. Similar to last year were we played backs in midfield we have now started to play forwards/Midfielders in the backs. At least we are saving ourselves 100 thousand plus on management this year I suppose

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #513 on: March 27, 2017, 04:40:09 PM »
We could have saved another 100k if we had cleared the other pair out as well and appointed any club manager in Roscommon.
They couldn't do any worse anyway and could be just given vouched expenses and a few free dinners.
2016 - Hurling League Champions, Football League Semi finalists

oliverkelly

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 27, 2017, 05:00:40 PM »
We could have saved another 100k if we had cleared the other pair out as well and appointed any club manager in Roscommon.
They couldn't do any worse anyway and could be just given vouched expenses and a few free dinners.

Totally agree that should have been done. And agree any club manager would do no worse and probably better than we are currently. Tbh the money is mad what was given to all 5 lads involved last year I was surprised to hear the Roscommon born lads were even looking for money never mind the amount the got I would have taught basic expenses would have been enough to lads involved with managing there own county

Syferus

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: March 27, 2017, 06:25:12 PM »

TOR is as settled at 8 as any player on the team.

moysider

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: March 27, 2017, 07:29:47 PM »
Roscommon are the only team in the top two divisions that don't play any sort of a defensive system. No signs of any structure to their defence and they give the opposition so much time and room on the ball to either kick pass or shoot for points. In that type of chaos even Dublin or Mayos best individual defender would look average in.

League football is there to show signs of encouragement for the championship ahead yet for Roscommon they seem to be getting worse the longer the league has gone on. Don't care how good Dublin are when you lose any game by 21 points and concede 2-29 you have simply down your tools. Biggest concern for McStay is he seems to have lost the dressing room before the championship looking at him in recent interviews I don't think he believes half the nonsense he says it sounds scripted and he looks to have aged 10 years in the last 12 months.

The joint management was given 3 years but lasted 1 year in hindsight they should have done 2 years and if it didn't work out then both McStay and O Donnell should have left together and then have a fresh start in 2018 .

McStay should have put in a proper defensive structure. Probably fluting around with the stuff Liam was at with Mayo back in 2004 and we all know how that ended that September. Can't see McStay change now though.

Last time we were relegated we won Connacht, Moy.

Yer not exactly looking like yer up to much yerselves..

If we stay up we'll be doing nicely for the time of year. Happy out with a lot of what I've seen. Plenty time to work on the rest.

twohands!!!

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: March 27, 2017, 09:31:17 PM »

The reason I have such a big opinion of Evans is because he is the only senior manager we have made progress under in last 15 years.  No he hasn't been snapped up by anyone yet I am sure now that his wife is recovering he may look for a job for next year and I am sure he will get one if it suits.

Heard he  has  been involved with Fossa Gaa (the 4th club in Killarney) His nephews play with them. His nephew is apparently David Clifford the Kerry underage star. Lot of talk the nephew will be off to Oz next year.