Author Topic: Tyrone County Football and Hurling  (Read 455219 times)

RedHandTom

• View Profile
Re: Tyrone County Football and Hurling
« Reply #3435 on: March 19, 2017, 05:45:13 PM »
I'm not one for doom and gloom but last night was a right shocker. Abysmal performance against a very average Donegal side who had it easy last night. Not to mention getting drenched in that kip Ballybofey

skeog

• View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: March 19, 2017, 07:12:43 PM »
They had it that easy most of them played for their clubs today no cotton wool for them.

BennyHarp

• View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: March 19, 2017, 07:34:21 PM »
I've seen it worse.
when have u ever seen it worse than saturday night?

Did you ever go to a div 3 game in Wicklow in the 80s? Do you remember not winning a championship game between 1989 and 1994? Do you remember the 70s? If you started supporting Tyrone in 2003 then last night was poor in comparison. But we have no devine right to win All Irelands and the fact that we have been competitive in recent years with a couple of semi final places, an Ulster title, promotion and a good shout at a Div 1 league final in our first year back in the top division means that..... no, a poor performance on a truly shitty Saturday night away in Donegal is not the worst we have ever seen.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 08:35:40 PM by BennyHarp »
That was never a square ball!!

longballin

• View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: March 19, 2017, 07:44:44 PM »
I think the issue is the delusion we are a threat to the Dubs or on the brink of an All Ireland title is the issue. Same works the other way when Tyrone win a league game the hype is way OTT

southtyronegael

• View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: March 19, 2017, 08:54:02 PM »
I've seen it worse.
when have u ever seen it worse than saturday night?

Did you ever go to a div 3 game in Wicklow in the 80s? Do you remember not winning a championship game between 1989 and 1994? Do you remember the 70s? If you started supporting Tyrone in 2003 then last night was poor in comparison. But we have no devine right to win All Irelands and the fact that we have been competitive in recent years with a couple of semi final places, an Ulster title, promotion and a good shout at a Div 1 league final in our first year back in the top division means that..... no, a poor performance on a truly shitty Saturday night away in Donegal is not the worst we have ever seen.
id say saturday nights performance is as bad as anything seen in the 70,s or 80s. even the games weve won this year feel very underwhelming. so much talent on the tyrone team ruined.

Scoring Zone

• View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: March 19, 2017, 08:54:08 PM »
I think the issue is the delusion we are a threat to the Dubs or on the brink of an All Ireland title is the issue. Same works the other way when Tyrone win a league game the hype is way OTT

100% agree with this, we are a good side, but Dublin would have struggled to come out of ballybofey last night with a result, poor weather, tight/poor pitch doesn't suit this tyrone side. They will beat Mayo in Omagh but a massive test away to Kerry will a huge indicator what the rest of the season will hold imo

omagh_gael

• '03, '05 + '08...not bad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: March 19, 2017, 11:36:05 PM »
Tyrone lost a thirteen game unbeaten run last night, the best in the country behind Dublin. I think it was a case of all sectors of the field having an off day and Donegal hitting a freakishly good purple patch in the first half. The scores they got in the first half against the wind wwere spectacular but sometimes everything you hot goes over (see our first half v Monaghan) whereas other nights everything goes to shite i.e. us last night.

Draw a line under it, learn and move on to next week.
2011 National League Spreads Champion

Gaffer

• View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: March 19, 2017, 11:57:58 PM »

That 'delusion' comes from the press not the Tyrone team!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Fuzzman

• Aughabrack (Tyrone Not Cork)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: March 20, 2017, 10:49:39 AM »
I agree Omagh Gael we had a very off day and it looked like everything went well for Donegal.
They really do the siege mentality stuff very well against Tyrone and they love the whole war of attrition stuff.

I was surprised how well Cavan did against Mayo. The defeat against Donegal will give us a bit of a wakeup call I feel and hopefully make us raise our game again against Mayo who usually do well in Omagh.

It could be a very tough championship season ahead with a potential path of Derry, Donegal, Monaghan, Donegal again  ;) before the Dubs and then of course Kerry in the final  ;D
Harte will then retire having won Sam again and everyone will be happy.

longballin

• View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: March 20, 2017, 11:14:24 AM »

You need to get out more and listen to what supporters say and look at comments on social media

LeoMc

• View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: March 20, 2017, 11:29:38 AM »

You need to get out more and listen to what supporters say and look at comments on social media

GaelTheGael

• View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: March 20, 2017, 12:14:50 PM »
Other night was very poor. Surely this will be the end of the Mattie Donnelly inside experiment. Wasting one of our best players inside on the periphery of games. I still think Tyrone should pick 10. Mattie Donnelly 11. Niall Sludden 12. Peter Harte and pick the rest of the team after that because if we are going to carry the ball its a waste playing any of them inside.

bigpackiechestout

• View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: March 20, 2017, 01:15:34 PM »
Other night was very poor. Surely this will be the end of the Mattie Donnelly inside experiment. Wasting one of our best players inside on the periphery of games. I still think Tyrone should pick 10. Mattie Donnelly 11. Niall Sludden 12. Peter Harte and pick the rest of the team after that because if we are going to carry the ball its a waste playing any of them inside.

I hope we don't abandon the experiment yet. Whilst Mattie hasn't shot the lights out this year yet playing inside, we've been saying for a few years now that we need a more physical presence at full forward and it would be rash to give up on it after three poor/average performances.

We should bear in mind that in all three games we were against Ulster opposition where defences were packed. Would any full forward in Ireland have played well v Donegal in those conditions on Saturday night? In my opinion we are capable of beating Ulster teams with last years tactics (as we have proved) however in order to get over the line v Dublin/ Kerry/ Mayo we need something extra and it is against these sides, where forwards get a bit more space, that Mattie in full forward would really add value.

I take you point about him being one of our main men out the field but, as Mickey has said, Mattie will never spend 70 minutes in the full forward line and if he could spend even 20-30 mins in there I think it would help. I would also give Mattie the benefit of the doubt and say that the more games he plays in there the sharper he will get. It must be a few years now since he's had a proper run at full forward for either club or county and it will take time to adjust

Man Marker

• View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: March 20, 2017, 01:29:01 PM »
Did you see our attempts at trying to kick the ball in, shocking. Its that long since we have kicked ball it looks as if they don't know how to kick it.

omagh_gael

• '03, '05 + '08...not bad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: March 20, 2017, 03:41:47 PM »
Did you see our attempts at trying to kick the ball in, shocking. Its that long since we have kicked ball it looks as if they don't know how to kick it.

100% agree, the balls we are putting in are all wrong. Check out the Cavan and Mayo match yesterday and the Cavan defence put in some perfect ball into their FF line that yielded great dividends. I do realise that Mayo's tactics and the weather contributed to this but long balls into the FF line need a certain trajectory and angle to increase reward. We have been putting in silly floated balls that result in Mattie et al being smashed from behind and been given no chance at all.
2011 National League Spreads Champion