Author Topic: Tyrone Club Football and Hurling  (Read 5232379 times)

Therealdonald

• View Profile
Re: Tyrone Club Football and Hurling
« Reply #36930 on: February 08, 2018, 09:24:23 PM »
Phew, there's two weeks gone and no blockbuster transfer news down in the East. Can we assume that Ardboe, Moortown, Coalisland, Brackaville, Clonoe and Derrytresk etc are finished swapping players??? Also I can't remember who it was mentioned Ardboe and their low numbers or men leaving but I've ehard that their training numbers are in fact about the same as all others.

Club boi

• View Profile
« Reply #36931 on: February 09, 2018, 04:17:48 PM »
Phew, there's two weeks gone and no blockbuster transfer news down in the East. Can we assume that Ardboe, Moortown, Coalisland, Brackaville, Clonoe and Derrytresk etc are finished swapping players??? Also I can't remember who it was mentioned Ardboe and their low numbers or men leaving but I've ehard that their training numbers are in fact about the same as all others.

Who are these Swap deals exactly??

I heard Bob Mc Nally left Brackaville to Coalisland and Caolan Corr left Derrytresk to Clonoe

Any More??

Tyrone Gaa

• View Profile
« Reply #36932 on: February 12, 2018, 11:35:56 AM »

Who are these Swap deals exactly??

I heard Bob Mc Nally left Brackaville to Coalisland and Caolan Corr left Derrytresk to Clonoe

Any More??

Big clubs feeding of the smaller clubs in the area, draining out the talent.  Has there been a fall out with these lads or what is the reason they are moving to a neighbouring club.  I was going to use the word rivals but they aren't and wont be if these kinds of transfers are allowed to proceed.
Living the dream!!!

GetOverTheBar

• View Profile
« Reply #36933 on: February 12, 2018, 11:39:34 AM »
Frustration would probably be a key in both the above transfers.

Whilst it's not exactly in the GAA ethos, I don't really blame anyone for wanting to go to test themselves at the highest club level they can.

square_ball

• View Profile
« Reply #36934 on: February 12, 2018, 12:26:16 PM »

Whilst it's not exactly in the GAA ethos, I don't really blame anyone for wanting to go to test themselves at the highest club level they can.

I canít agree with the last statement. If thatís the case then the small club wonít survive for much longer if thereís a drain in talent and itís accepted that you can just leave to play at a higher level. I donít know much about the 2 transfers discussed though. 

GetOverTheBar

• View Profile
« Reply #36935 on: February 12, 2018, 12:28:39 PM »

I canít agree with the last statement. If thatís the case then the small club wonít survive for much longer if thereís a drain in talent and itís accepted that you can just leave to play at a higher level. I donít know much about the 2 transfers discussed though.

I can't say I agree with it myself to be honest but the small clubs are bleeding slowly to death, unfortunately. What can be done though? The GAA is really sleep walking towards a crisis. Do we hold individuals responsible for moving on? I can't do that to be honest.

Boghopper

• View Profile
« Reply #36936 on: February 12, 2018, 02:22:33 PM »
The sad thing is Clonoe and Coalisland have massive numbers and settled teams. Both players are fine footballers but will not be guaranteed starting berths. It completely is out of touch with the ethos of the association to join a bigger club purely to test yourself at a higher level. If a man leaves his club to join a smaller club to simply play football or is forced to join because of work e.g. Dublin or London then you cannot question such a move. If a lad goes to the USA to play at a higher level temporarily I cannot see how he can be faulted if he is unhappy with his own club. In a lot of these situations ultimately players go back to their original club/county like Seanie Johnston though unfortunately the reputational damage is done. Good luck to both lads any way hope they get what they want from their moves, pity we don't have a divisional team system like Kerry so lads playing Junior/intermediate can play in the senior championship then they would be able to test the rest themselves at senior level and still play with their own clubs.

bigtogs

• View Profile
« Reply #36937 on: February 12, 2018, 02:29:46 PM »
Caolans father Tommy played for the Rahillys for many years i suppose that is his draw to transfer...... in the 15 last years Derrytresk have benefited from loads of players transferring from many teams only for they would not excist simple as....i can name 20tranfers to Derrytresk of the top of my head.....

Boghopper

• View Profile
« Reply #36938 on: February 12, 2018, 03:32:01 PM »
Derrytresk have benefitted alright from a few transfers although most of the current team have played underage for the club. In the past the club were very reliant on transfers to just survive much like Dregish are striving to do now. Unfortunately for Dregish they don't have any underage teams or amalgamation with another club. Derrytresk don't currently rely on transfers they might not be as strong with the players who have joined them though they would still exist. To say they solely exist on transfers currently is not true. Caolans dad is a championship winner with  Clonoe and maybe he wants to emulate that feat though he will not be part of the clique at Clonoe nor would Bob at Coalisland. Bob has no connection with Coalisland as far as I know? Brackaville have lost a lot of players in the last two years they will be a very young team this year?

bigtogs

• View Profile
« Reply #36939 on: February 12, 2018, 03:48:46 PM »
Derrytresk have benefitted alright from a few transfers although most of the current team have played underage for the club. In the past the club were very reliant on transfers to just survive much like Dregish are striving to do now. Unfortunately for Dregish they don't have any underage teams or amalgamation with another club. Derrytresk don't currently rely on transfers they might not be as strong with the players who have joined them though they would still exist. To say they solely exist on transfers currently is not true. Caolans dad is a championship winner with  Clonoe and maybe he wants to emulate that feat though he will not be part of the clique at Clonoe nor would Bob at Coalisland. Bob has no connection with Coalisland as far as I know? Brackaville have lost a lot of players in the last two years they will be a very young team this year?

Sean McNally's grandfather won a senior championship medal with Coalisland in the 50's........

bigtogs

• View Profile
« Reply #36940 on: February 12, 2018, 03:55:12 PM »

Sean McNally's grandfather won a senior championship medal with Coalisland in the 50's........

p.s i would love too see one team from Clonoe Parish playing senior championship like they do in Kerry......

LeoMc

• View Profile
« Reply #36941 on: February 12, 2018, 04:05:53 PM »
There are 2 distinct but very much related sets of transfer activity being hinted at here.

1. Players moving (whatever their connection)from a small club  to a bigger club to try to achieve something / develop themselves.
2. Players moving in the opposite direction to try to get more regular football

The Championship amalgamations / regional teams is one solution to the former but does little to address the latter. Could that potentially be addressed by the provision of recreational level football, a Junior B if you will?

IF there was an outlet within the bigger clubs for football without the senior level commitment would there be the interest there or would it end up impacting the smaller clubs even more?

Therealdonald

• View Profile
« Reply #36942 on: February 12, 2018, 06:24:14 PM »

p.s i would love too see one team from Clonoe Parish playing senior championship like they do in Kerry......

I'd much prefer to see a team incorporating Ballygawley, Glencull, Seskinore, Eskra and Beragh. Perhaps they could even play under the banner of Errigal Ciaran....oh wait a minute that sounds familiar.

Legoman5

• View Profile
« Reply #36943 on: February 14, 2018, 09:07:35 AM »
The sad thing is Clonoe and Coalisland have massive numbers and settled teams. Both players are fine footballers but will not be guaranteed starting berths. It completely is out of touch with the ethos of the association to join a bigger club purely to test yourself at a higher level. If a man leaves his club to join a smaller club to simply play football or is forced to join because of work e.g. Dublin or London then you cannot question such a move. If a lad goes to the USA to play at a higher level temporarily I cannot see how he can be faulted if he is unhappy with his own club. In a lot of these situations ultimately players go back to their original club/county like Seanie Johnston though unfortunately the reputational damage is done. Good luck to both lads any way hope they get what they want from their moves, pity we don't have a divisional team system like Kerry so lads playing Junior/intermediate can play in the senior championship then they would be able to test the rest themselves at senior level and still play with their own clubs.

Wouldn't agree with this either, Its a cowardly act and leaving your club in the lurch, walking away from your club that needs you and looked after you since you where a child!! Test yourself by trying to move your club up to a level at which the club your thinking of moving too!
Unless a player moves house to somewhere which is in a different County etc or massive distance then I dont understand why some men would want to leave their club!

Boghopper

• View Profile
« Reply #36944 on: February 14, 2018, 07:31:43 PM »
I agree that it's preferable to stick with your own club and you will be respected more than going to a bigger club. I feel leaving unless out of necessity is likely to never end well you're essentially telling your former teammates that they and the club are useless and you feel your better than them, then there is your new club and the fact you will be taking someone else's place who has been at that club from scratch that could go either of two ways. I also believe that if someone wants to go then just sign the transfer and wish them all the best even if it kills you to let them leave. It's a divisive topic in any event and both players will likely end up returning at some point in the future to their old clubs.