Author Topic: Tyrone Club Football and Hurling  (Read 4882395 times)

TabClear

• View Profile
Re: Tyrone Club Football and Hurling
« Reply #36660 on: November 20, 2017, 04:27:54 PM »
Confirmed -

2018 Junior County Champions - Rock

3 relegations to Junior in 5 season's now. There's no deterrent for the Rock to avoid relegation as they will go on another run in Ulster and could possibly win an All-Ireland. The sad thing is I actually believe that if the Rock stayed up they would have had a good year in Intermediate next season.

Youíre writing there clarshak as if they made the choice to throw the match today when you know full well that wasnít the case. Clubs like the rock and derrytresk and whoever else yo yo up and down and get a bad press because people assume they nearly aim for relegation. Itís total crap to suggest that.

Gutted to be going down again but Derrytresk deserved the win yesterday. We were very poor in the second half and panicked when we conceded the second goal. We had enough possession in the last 10 mins to get something from the game but we had lost composure on the ball and our attacks were a bit aimless. To be honest our problem this season was picking up just 3 points in the first 11 league games, thats the reason we were relegated, not yesterday.

To suggest any team would be happy to be relegated is ridiculous. I can tell you there is no one from our club happy be be going down again.

Would the likes of ourselves and derrytresk going up and down, and Cookstown a few years ago provide an argument that 4 divisions of 12 would help teams find their level and compete in a realistic division? It would also help in division 1 where there is effectively 2 leagues, top 8/10 and the rest.

100% Agree

This was done a few years ago (maybe around 2004?) on a home and away basis. It had the advantages that you refer to and also kept the leagues interesting right to the end as it was more competitive and a smaller gap from the promotion spots to potentially being in a relegation playoff. I think the big issue however was number of games. A 12 team division means 22 games plus championship. From memory there were a lot of weekends with teams playing on both Fri and Sunday but I think the county players"restrictions" were less onerous so difficult to see how that could work now. Even more so from a Reserve perspective, hard enough to gather up a team on a Sunday for a lot of clubs.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 04:29:54 PM by TabClear »

Frank_The_Tank

• View Profile
« Reply #36661 on: November 20, 2017, 05:52:37 PM »
Confirmed -

2018 Junior County Champions - Rock

3 relegations to Junior in 5 season's now. There's no deterrent for the Rock to avoid relegation as they will go on another run in Ulster and could possibly win an All-Ireland. The sad thing is I actually believe that if the Rock stayed up they would have had a good year in Intermediate next season.

Youíre writing there clarshak as if they made the choice to throw the match today when you know full well that wasnít the case. Clubs like the rock and derrytresk and whoever else yo yo up and down and get a bad press because people assume they nearly aim for relegation. Itís total crap to suggest that.

Gutted to be going down again but Derrytresk deserved the win yesterday. We were very poor in the second half and panicked when we conceded the second goal. We had enough possession in the last 10 mins to get something from the game but we had lost composure on the ball and our attacks were a bit aimless. To be honest our problem this season was picking up just 3 points in the first 11 league games, thats the reason we were relegated, not yesterday.

To suggest any team would be happy to be relegated is ridiculous. I can tell you there is no one from our club happy be be going down again.

Would the likes of ourselves and derrytresk going up and down, and Cookstown a few years ago provide an argument that 4 divisions of 12 would help teams find their level and compete in a realistic division? It would also help in division 1 where there is effectively 2 leagues, top 8/10 and the rest.

100% Agree

This was done a few years ago (maybe around 2004?) on a home and away basis. It had the advantages that you refer to and also kept the leagues interesting right to the end as it was more competitive and a smaller gap from the promotion spots to potentially being in a relegation playoff. I think the big issue however was number of games. A 12 team division means 22 games plus championship. From memory there were a lot of weekends with teams playing on both Fri and Sunday but I think the county players"restrictions" were less onerous so difficult to see how that could work now. Even more so from a Reserve perspective, hard enough to gather up a team on a Sunday for a lot of clubs.

Dont see it being a certainty that a 12 team structure has to mean a 22 game league.  Surely coupd just play 11 league ganes...obviously starred games is the problem but perhaps you could do a different point structure for starred games.  There is sometimes trouble getting 15 league games fixed consistently although last seasin seemed to run pretty smooth

Norf Tyrone

• View Profile
« Reply #36662 on: November 20, 2017, 07:29:15 PM »
Havent thought this through so don't shot me. If it was 4 x 12s.

What about 11 games v the other teams in the league and 6 more on a seeded basis. If you are seeded 1 to 6 you face all the teams in the btm half. If you are seeded 7 to 12 you face all the teams in top half.

It means 17 games per Club. The seeded teams have 9H and 8A.

It'll put an end to dead rubbers too. Getting into that top half would be crucial.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

TabClear

• View Profile
« Reply #36663 on: November 20, 2017, 08:06:11 PM »
Havent thought this through so don't shot me. If it was 4 x 12s.

What about 11 games v the other teams in the league and 6 more on a seeded basis. If you are seeded 1 to 6 you face all the teams in the btm half. If you are seeded 7 to 12 you face all the teams in top half.

It means 17 games per Club. The seeded teams have 9H and 8A.

It'll put an end to dead rubbers too. Getting into that top half would be crucial.

Splitting the league might work as I think 11 games are too few but 22 too many. Don't think your way would work though Norf as it would be very one sided at the end of the season results wise. Didn't the Scottish premier league split a few years ago? How did that work?

In hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #36664 on: November 20, 2017, 08:07:43 PM »
what about this...
we currently play 15 league games, 10 of which are player with county players, 5 without.
In a league of 12 teams just play 11 league games, all of those with county players. Play some other kind of league competition on days which normally would be set aside for starred games. This would do away with the need for league playoffs which were introduced to encourage teams to play starred games without their county men

Tyrone Gaa

• View Profile
« Reply #36665 on: November 20, 2017, 11:04:21 PM »
what about this...
we currently play 15 league games, 10 of which are player with county players, 5 without.
In a league of 12 teams just play 11 league games, all of those with county players. Play some other kind of league competition on days which normally would be set aside for starred games. This would do away with the need for league playoffs which were introduced to encourage teams to play starred games without their county men

Only thing here would be the weeks of inactivity if Tyrone were to get on a run, it would be hard to see Mickey looking his main men playing in a club game that with less games become more critical. Itís not an easy job to please everyone. Changes had been proposed and rejected by clubs to allow things remain as they are. I thought this year went well.
Living the dream!!!

Degrassi Hi

• View Profile
« Reply #36666 on: Today at 02:30:12 PM »
Looking at the Tyrone squad for 2017 there appears to be only 2 players namely Padraig McNulty & McShane that are not playing their club football in Division 1. 
Would it not be an idea to only play starred rounds in Division 1 and to release the 2 "squad" players to their clubs which would mean that Division 2 & 3 run very smoothly next year through what is likely to be a very tough year for fixture makers with the sky sport super 8s taking place and an earlier All ire Final.

square_ball

• View Profile
« Reply #36667 on: Today at 03:24:28 PM »
It would definitely make sense alright. To have 2 players hold up football for a couple of hundred players is madness. Division 3 should run smooth enough next year with no Owen Roes there.