Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
GAA Discussion / Re: Where has the melee gone?
« Last post by Jinxy on Today at 01:28:41 PM »
Can we not agree it's a mill.

That's what we had in the 80s in Longford.

Mills.

We had 'mill-ups'.
To avoid confusion with actual mills.
GAA Discussion / Re: Money, Dublin and the GAA
« Last post by Dinny Breen on Today at 01:28:37 PM »
I am in also in favour of more equal wealth distribution. How to fix this issue is at your individual county board levels which you gain contact though your club pros. Leinster council and Croke park need to be lobbied.

How did Antrim get their recent funding plan approved?

Rather flippant.

We should be lobbying our Club Pro's to ask the Leinster Council not to show preferential treatment to Dublin?

I do despair sometimes.

How would you go about it if its not going to change automatically?

lobby club Pro's or post on GAA forum.

You think Dublin GAA got their funding by lobbying club PROs  ::)
GAA Discussion / Re: The Sunday Game
« Last post by Bord na Mona man on Today at 01:27:56 PM »
No McDonagh or Ring results given!!!!

Give both those competitions to TG4/Eirsport and watch them flourish.

As for a tiered football competition, RTE would treat it with disdain.
Not if 2 tier 1 teams were relegated every year .
In the hurling, the Joe McDonagh Cup features a promotion to the elite level and that makes it far  more interesting

Not if you’re Kerry it doesn’t. Just wait for it, there will be nobody relegated from Leinster championship. They’ll change the rules again. The comments from the usual sources have already started.
If Dublin get relegated, they'll change it. If it's a Offaly there's a smaller chance.
« Last post by Jinxy on Today at 01:27:19 PM »

Excellent idea. Tg4 or Eir would do wonders with them.

The IRFU forced RTE into showing u-20s and womens rugby if they wanted the rights to the 6 nations.
The GAA approaches TV rights negotiations as if we're just glad somebody is willing to show the games at all.
It's like they think televised games involving the 'weaker' counties will devalue the product.
It was a decent game to watch but not as good as some have made out.

I'll wait until I see the stats but reckon there won't be as much in the difference between the amount of hand passes on show yesterday as there was last week in Castlebar. I thought both teams gave away so many daft frees and Monaghan scored 1-9 from play just as Galway did last week.

Monaghan were in total charge of the game for long periods, after the first 10 minutes where Tyrone went 0-5 to 0-2 up Monaghan controlled the game although O'Rourke will be disappointed how easy Tyrone found their scores early on.

General discussion / Re: Boxing Thread
« Last post by lurganblue on Today at 01:23:21 PM »
Warren will want to milk that Leeds crowd a bit longer with a few defences rather than risk a loss v Frampton. Though after watching that Warrington will be a tough nights work. He was very good tonight.

Warrington will take a huge crowd with him to Belfast if the Frampton fight gets made. They are a rowdy bunch too...would be an interesting night at Windsor Park.

Would be a great scrap between them but going on their last two performances and quality of opposition Warrington would beat him

Donaire a bit over the hill but he's, by a considerable distance, the best fighter any of them have ever fought, so not sure "quality of opposition" comes into it.
Donaire may be the biggest 'name' either has fought but at this weight and this stage of their career Frampton's win over Santa Cruz is easily the most impressive victory either has had.

So is the summer fight going to be another dud then?  Likely to be no World Championship on the line.

It would need to be a big name, and seeing as these two went toe to toe in their last fight neither Warrington or Selby would be fighting fit enough in 12 weeks, wouldn't be fair on them also... Think Carl was looking a one or 2 round knock out at that fight, it never happened! I'd say Selby would be looking a rematch and that would be big money again for the promoters.

Can't really see anything else, though I'm sure the more knowledgable posters would have other ideas, just at the minute I think he'll struggle

Scott Quigg rematch? (or is that weight now out of the question for him)

Cant see Valdez coming to Windsor either.
GAA Discussion / Re: Where has the melee gone?
« Last post by seafoid on Today at 01:21:26 PM »
The legend of Galway club hurling showing how to stop a melee.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpC0Xzg62ZM
Dochreidte

One of the reasons Galway didn't win anything for a long time
Tyrone / Re: Tyrone County Football and Hurling
« Last post by RedHand88 on Today at 01:21:10 PM »
Cavanagh is definitely not done!! Worst statement I’ve seen on here in a long time. He ‘bluffs’ (as you put it) in round the full back line because that’s the role he is given. He could be as easily thrust into the full forward line and asked to play as a target man that he was as a minor when he won an all Ireland. If he was unleashed and allowed to carry the fight he would be a different animal.

That wouldn’t work because Harte needs a sweeper as part of his system and there is no finer sweeper in Ireland. There is no trust in the panel for others to step up and Colm Cavanagh hasn’t kicked a ball for his club and didn’t feature in the latter league games.

McNulty and McClure surely have to be questioning their role in the setup. 

I thought McShane was very poor today. Mickey has a panel of 35ish? Are there any of the other 9 outside of the 26 named today going to be knocking the door down for a chance next day out?

Sure why not play Kyle coney ronie o Neill and Darren mccurry as sweepers too then sure they played starring roles for there minors in all ireland wins. Living in the past. I beg to differ on finer sweepers in ireland when you play a defensive system... Colly cav wouldn't lace cian o sullivans boots.. You think for one second cavanagh would make Dublin /kerry team.. I think not. Surely Richie donnelly has to be given a chance... Breed the new blood... Mick mckernan was standout... Ciaran mcloughlin worth a shout too

He just won an all star and plays for Ireland, but he wouldn't make the Dublin or Kerry team?? The nonsense on this forum gets worse every day. I hope to god the players don't read the drivel from fools like you.
What age are the 2 Hughes brothers?

Thought McAnespie was very good, did the job Dessie Ward failed to do.

Watched the game at 7 and didn't know the result, said to the wife McManus was very quiet after about 60 mins, wasn't sure he was still on the pitch but what a 10 minute spell from him which showed us why he's the best footballer in the country.

What did she say to you at the end of the game.
« Last post by shark on Today at 01:16:53 PM »

Not if 2 tier 1 teams were relegated every year .
In the hurling, the Joe McDonagh Cup features a promotion to the elite level and that makes it far  more interesting

Not if you’re Kerry it doesn’t. Just wait for it, there will be nobody relegated from Leinster championship. They’ll change the rules again. The comments from the usual sources have already started.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10