Author Topic: Derry Club football and Hurling  (Read 6909138 times)

DERRYSFINEST

• View Profile
Re: Derry Club football and Hurling
« Reply #57000 on: March 19, 2017, 08:10:43 PM »
I've asked this question before, what is Tony Scullions role in the county set up? I can only presume he is in as a defensive coach.

Rawhide

• View Profile
« Reply #57001 on: March 19, 2017, 10:01:06 PM »
As great a player Scullion was, he has been running round giving team talks to wannabe coached in his role in the Ulster council and most fools bought it. His coaching career has landed nothing and his managerial one is a car crash. Mc Guckian is of similar Ilk, achieved nothing as a manager or coach. Seriously what were we expecting from this inexperienced group. Barton should have cleaned out his back room team and tried to beefed it up with experienced proven people.

Mrs mills

• View Profile
« Reply #57002 on: March 19, 2017, 10:17:07 PM »
Name the proven people Rawhide

Rawhide

• View Profile
« Reply #57003 on: March 19, 2017, 10:26:30 PM »
Outside of winning All Ireland managers, and that's the wishful stuff, but being realistic for me it would be people who have proven themselves at winning senior club championships, or people who have had experience of managing or coaching at inter count level. Probably a mixture of both. How about a Tony Mc Entee with the likes of Mc Erlain or Cassidy or both, names off the top of my head to support my arguement. But get my drift. And that's just to get the ship steadied first.

Mountain Gael

• View Profile
« Reply #57004 on: March 19, 2017, 10:53:03 PM »
Another disappointing result today in galway after the down result. we are in deep trouble and heading for division 3.i believe mark craig played today. hope we get more lads back for the last 2 games in the league. anyone at game today. really worried for the tyrone match.

Mrs mills

• View Profile
« Reply #57005 on: March 20, 2017, 12:19:04 PM »
Will Stallion name his list of candidates before sundown?

tonesfirstandlast

• View Profile
« Reply #57006 on: March 20, 2017, 01:03:49 PM »
Outside of winning All Ireland managers, and that's the wishful stuff, but being realistic for me it would be people who have proven themselves at winning senior club championships, or people who have had experience of managing or coaching at inter count level. Probably a mixture of both. How about a Tony Mc Entee with the likes of Mc Erlain or Cassidy or both, names off the top of my head to support my arguement. But get my drift. And that's just to get the ship steadied first.

Definitely not Cassidy,  Rawhide. He's had two turns at and he was a disaster both times. Him and Coleman lost us an all Ireland in 2002 and then they walked out the following year. Great group of players about that time. Then the less we talk about his second coming the better.

southderryman

• View Profile
« Reply #57007 on: March 20, 2017, 01:27:07 PM »

Definitely not Cassidy,  Rawhide. He's had two turns at and he was a disaster both times. Him and Coleman lost us an all Ireland in 2002 and then they walked out the following year. Great group of players about that time. Then the less we talk about his second coming the better.

It was 2001, not 2002 and I wouldnt attribute the blame to management either

Personally what I thought cost us that day was ciaran McNally getting injured and having to move Paul mcflynn back from half forward to half back. We were well on control that day and lost our shape after that.

In relation to the second coming, at the time I was off the opinion that what he was doing as right but player power put an end to his plans

restorepride

• View Profile
« Reply #57008 on: March 20, 2017, 09:20:35 PM »
The reality is that no manager has been "good enough" for the last 10 years. We have to get players to want to play for the County and restore pride.  Division 3 might give us that chance but it will probably take a high-profile, and outside of the county, manager to kick start the pride.  Honestly don't see any other way forward at present. 

Mrs mills

• View Profile
« Reply #57009 on: March 20, 2017, 11:05:47 PM »
The reality is that no manager has been "good enough" for the last 10 years. We have to get players to want to play for the County and restore pride.  Division 3 might give us that chance but it will probably take a high-profile, and outside of the county, manager to kick start the pride.  Honestly don't see any other way forward at present.

I hope your use of speech marks indicates player opinion, for what it's worth. Player power is an increasingly powerful weapon in sport: the arrival of an outside manager will be hailed by many on this board as the way forward even before he has taken his first session or picked his first team. He will arrive at Owenbeg on a donkey (or a Stallion). Crowds of people will spread their coats on the ground in front of Him. Some will wave branches of palm trees, a sign of victory. The people will shout:

Hosanna!
Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Oakleaf
the King of Derry

And within a short time, when he has made unreasonable demands of players (this is the way I want you to play), when he has not chosen a friend or a relative or a club mate as one of the 15 disciples, people will begin to turn against him. They will argue that he was brought in to perform miracles and, if he does not, they will call for his removal (he gets to live in this case).

And so the search will begin again for a new messiah!

restorepride

• View Profile
« Reply #57010 on: March 20, 2017, 11:19:59 PM »
A response of Biblical proportions!  Enjoyed the humour of it, especially as I am an atheist myself. However your scenario is a bit like the bible, outdated.

Mrs mills

• View Profile
« Reply #57011 on: March 21, 2017, 12:06:07 AM »
Only the Free P version

HiMucker

• View Profile
« Reply #57012 on: March 21, 2017, 02:50:38 PM »

I hope your use of speech marks indicates player opinion, for what it's worth. Player power is an increasingly powerful weapon in sport: the arrival of an outside manager will be hailed by many on this board as the way forward even before he has taken his first session or picked his first team. He will arrive at Owenbeg on a donkey (or a Stallion). Crowds of people will spread their coats on the ground in front of Him. Some will wave branches of palm trees, a sign of victory. The people will shout:

Hosanna!
Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Oakleaf
the King of Derry

And within a short time, when he has made unreasonable demands of players (this is the way I want you to play), when he has not chosen a friend or a relative or a club mate as one of the 15 disciples, people will begin to turn against him. They will argue that he was brought in to perform miracles and, if he does not, they will call for his removal (he gets to live in this case).

And so the search will begin again for a new messiah!
Jesus wept

restorepride

• View Profile
« Reply #57013 on: March 21, 2017, 04:29:34 PM »
 ;)  ;D

Mrs mills

• View Profile
« Reply #57014 on: March 22, 2017, 02:42:36 PM »
I see Jarlath is proposing a couple of rule changes for Gaelic Football to slow the game down a little and move players 7 metres further outfield. I would like to propose another change to replace the black card and to limit systematic fouling.
Three yellow cards is the maximum any team can accrue in a game. Each subsequent yellow is punished with a penalty kick to the opposition. Punishments for individuals who receive two yellows or a red remain the same.