Author Topic: Derry Club football and Hurling  (Read 8434730 times)

restorepride

• View Profile
Re: Derry Club football and Hurling
« Reply #56970 on: March 31, 2017, 12:06:46 AM »
"The Robert Emmet's should have won the All Ireland club final on Saint Patrick's Day but for some dubious refereeing and an unlucky spell." says the latest edition of Gaelic Life. With this type of insight from "experts", the only way is up!

The Stallion

• View Profile
« Reply #56971 on: March 31, 2017, 01:09:09 AM »
Absolute nonsense to suggest Slaughtneil should have won. The better team won and they can have no complaints about the manner of their defeat.

scallywag

• View Profile
« Reply #56972 on: March 31, 2017, 08:53:35 AM »
Not long back in the country but have been watching events from afar.
First off all reading some off these comments is like ground hog day,same dung on a weekly basis.on slaughtneil,played well for bout 20 mins,unfortunately 20 mins won't win you an all Ireland.but they are surly happy with there years work and the 50/60 grand given till the Moran family over the last 40 months or do seems worth it,great gaels indeed!!!!!!
As for Derry I think the less said the better!!!ferris,Collins,Barton,mcguckin and who ever else is on the gravy train up there should be made till hand every single penny they have taken.a disgrace is an understatement.till be going into April and playing the biggest game off your year against Fermanagh really shows where we are as a county!!!
Unreal isn't it!!!

Waataboutyee

• View Profile
« Reply #56973 on: March 31, 2017, 09:54:16 AM »
First off all reading some off these comments is like ground hog day,same dung on a weekly basis.on slaughtneil,played well for bout 20 mins,unfortunately 20 mins won't win you an all Ireland.but they are surly happy with there years work and the 50/60 grand given till the Moran family over the last 40 months or do seems worth it,great gaels indeed!!!!!!
As for Derry I think the less said the better!!!ferris,Collins,Barton,mcguckin and who ever else is on the gravy train up there should be made till hand every single penny they have taken.a disgrace is an understatement.till be going into April and playing the biggest game off your year against Fermanagh really shows where we are as a county!!!
Unreal isn't it!!!
Sally great to have you back. The rest of the posters on here haven't got a clue.

JoG2

• View Profile
« Reply #56974 on: March 31, 2017, 10:33:56 AM »
"The Robert Emmet's should have won the All Ireland club final on Saint Patrick's Day but for some dubious refereeing and an unlucky spell." says the latest edition of Gaelic Life. With this type of insight from "experts", the only way is up!

Is that the entire article? If so, then I'd agree. Change the word 'should' to 'could' and I don't think too many would disagree. A point up with a few mins to go in the first half and ticking over nicely. The last few mins of the 1st half will weigh heavy on the Robbies for a while. The ref had an absolute stinker, but to be fair, the game is unbelievable hard to ref. If say, Buckley or OShea had been yellow carded after say, 5 personal fouls, then that would have rendered their half forward line, where alot of the stifling originated,  skating on very thin ice. IF I was a betting man, before the sending off, I'd have went with Slaughtneil... Coulda, woulda, shoulda.... In saying all that, yesterday's news

JoG2

• View Profile
« Reply #56975 on: March 31, 2017, 10:35:17 AM »
Unreal isn't it!!!

Rafferty could sub them a pound of two if they run low in sure

The Clones 500

• View Profile
« Reply #56976 on: April 01, 2017, 01:51:20 PM »
Derry under Damian Barton - Played 13 league games with only three wins and two draws, Played Tyrone 6 times with 6 defeats. The statistics speak for themselves whatever way you wanna look it i blame the board for the bad appointment, deciding to hire a manager with no county experience or even a club title to his name what did they expect?! We will see what ambition the Derry county board and club derry have with the next management team appointed, are they just happy with the status quo heading towards relagation players not wanting to play for the county and small crowds through the gates or will they shake things up...Over to you chairman and board members.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 02:18:40 PM by The Clones 500 »
c'mon Derry ya boys ya!

Red Hand Man

• View Profile
« Reply #56977 on: April 02, 2017, 09:49:53 PM »
So Division 3 for you boys next year.

Been reading through the last few posts and some thoughts on who the next manager should or could be.

You all have to be realistic. With the financial constraints, and lowly league position, you aren't going to be able to attract a big name from outside the county.

Given the desirable traits mentioned, who are the possible young managers from within Derry, who have achieved success at senior level?

I would argue there aren't many unless you can throw me a name or two.

Future looks bleak that side of the Sperrins.

South Derry fan

• View Profile
« Reply #56978 on: April 02, 2017, 10:27:50 PM »
Red hand man stay on the Tyrone thread. Who do you play in the league final this year? Sorry that's right you through everything at the league this year and finished 3rd from bottom. I know you stayed in division 1 and congratulations, but that's all you could take from the league. While you gloat at Derry heading to Div 3 to try and defuse Tyrones failings just remember with the loss of so many first team players through withdrawing from the panel,injuries to experienced players, slaughtneils success and a management team who are out of their depth at this level its a wonder we even had a chance of staying up going into the final day. Tyrone gaa should be more worried about who is going to manage Tyrone next year as the county as a whole are looking rid of 3 time all Ireland winning manager Mickey Harte. A wise man once said "Be careful what you wish for" . It doesn't look that great on the other side of the sperrins either

what do I kno

• View Profile
« Reply #56979 on: April 02, 2017, 10:30:04 PM »
Hi boy,to be honest,Tyrone aren't much to write home about either.but if it's a name ur lookin for,wat about Enda Gormley for a start?I'd argue he is currently the most successful young (??) Manager to date.

Glenman93

• View Profile
« Reply #56980 on: April 02, 2017, 10:39:04 PM »
Seriously Derry are a complete joke and laughing stock.  How do we go from division 1 final a few years back to division 3 now?? While in the same time we have my neighbours in 2 all Ireland finals. Derry couldn't be that bad.  We must officially now be the most backward team in Ireland.  No wonder nobody wants to play for the county.  When the likes of Tipperary and Louth are making progress we are going the opposite way.  Reminds we of a Liverpool or Leeds or Nottingham forest - still think we are a big team.

Helix

• View Profile
« Reply #56981 on: April 02, 2017, 10:50:20 PM »
Seriously Derry are a complete joke and laughing stock.  How do we go from division 1 final a few years back to division 3 now?? While in the same time we have my neighbours in 2 all Ireland finals. Derry couldn't be that bad.  We must officially now be the most backward team in Ireland.  No wonder nobody wants to play for the county.  When the likes of Tipperary and Louth are making progress we are going the opposite way.  Reminds we of a Liverpool or Leeds or Nottingham forest - still think we are a big team.

Could be worse. Could be Laois. Division 4.  :-[
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

TheOptimist

• Stay til the end
    • View Profile
« Reply #56982 on: April 02, 2017, 10:57:08 PM »
It is what it is. Can't see Barton being around for next  year, but while he is in charge we need to give the team out support in the championship.

As usual support for derry was just a handful today. On a day when it is really needed. So people can gurn all they want but the real truth is there are alot of people put more energy into giving off than supporting the team. I wonder if the players had a forum  where they could criticise the fans what they would be saying????

Red Hand Man

• View Profile
« Reply #56983 on: April 02, 2017, 11:36:30 PM »
Jesus lads, you're very defensive tonight.  I'm not gloating. Actually like it better when Derry are strong, makes for better craic.

Someone mentioned Enda Gormley?

I asked for names of young managers who had been successful at senior level.  Gormley was roaded out of Carmen who thought he was terrible.

restorepride

• View Profile
« Reply #56984 on: April 02, 2017, 11:46:22 PM »
If the players had a forum to give constructive criticism about the management, that might be more interesting. Anyway stop "gurning" about 'fans' if you don't like "gurning"! Fans follow soccer. Like many on this forum, I am GAA to the core, always was always will be, but also entitled to my view. And as for Red Hand Man, was young Harte "roaded" from your club system? Derry defensive? Not really or we wouldn't be in Division 3!