Author Topic: Derry Club football and Hurling  (Read 7623695 times)

southderryman

• View Profile
Re: Derry Club football and Hurling
« Reply #56970 on: March 19, 2017, 04:24:06 PM »
We conceded an average of 19 points in league and championship last year, given that and the way we chucked away an all ireland QF place against Tipperary you could be forgiven for thinking the main priority of the management would be to get a defensive system in place and work on it the following year

But no, not in Derry. Instead Barton and Co have went one better and left us so wide open that after 5 league games we've conceded and average of 20.6 points per game

Absolutely ridlcous. I'd make a change now, try and limit the damage and embarrassment that the ulster championship will be

Mrs mills

• View Profile
« Reply #56971 on: March 19, 2017, 05:28:16 PM »
We conceded an average of 19 points in league and championship last year, given that and the way we chucked away an all ireland QF place against Tipperary you could be forgiven for thinking the main priority of the management would be to get a defensive system in place and work on it the following year

But no, not in Derry. Instead Barton and Co have went one better and left us so wide open that after 5 league games we've conceded and average of 20.6 points per game

Absolutely ridlcous. I'd make a change now, try and limit the damage and embarrassment that the ulster championship will be

We conceded that 19 point average last year with a full squad of players. Nine of those regular staters are missing this year. 1.6 more with rookies? Not a big deal.

The Stallion

• View Profile
« Reply #56972 on: March 19, 2017, 05:40:52 PM »
Barton shouldn't have got the job in the first place but I agree he should be replaced as soon as possible.

Mrs mills

• View Profile
« Reply #56973 on: March 19, 2017, 06:32:41 PM »
Who should have the job Stallion?  Please don't narrow it down to 'someone who...'

The Stallion

• View Profile
« Reply #56974 on: March 19, 2017, 06:50:42 PM »
Don't ask me a question if you don't want to hear my answer.

southderryman

• View Profile
« Reply #56975 on: March 19, 2017, 07:41:56 PM »

We conceded that 19 point average last year with a full squad of players. Nine of those regular staters are missing this year. 1.6 more with rookies? Not a big deal.

Conceding 20+ points a game isn't a big deal? Aye dead on damian.

Regardless of what personnel is or isn't available, any team should be working to a system or game plan. You have a panel of players for a reason. Obviously the loss of so many is going to hurt you, but Ffs our defence is shapeless, there's been no obvious effort made to address the glaring defensive mess from last year and that is the biggest concern no matter
Who is or isn't available

I'm not knocking the fellas who are clearly putting in hard work, I'm knocking the management team who set them up to take a hammering every game. Absolutely dreading the championship.

The Clones 500

• View Profile
« Reply #56976 on: March 19, 2017, 07:45:37 PM »
For Damian its not looking good with a managerial record of Tyrone beating Derry 6 times on the trot in 12 months and looking very like division 3 football in 2018. Right now at the very least Barton needs to come out and front up to the media instead of throwing Brian McGuckin under the bus to the papers and radio and explain to the supporters what on earth is going on. Im also baffled why he played U21's who had already played on Wednesday night risking injury when we have actually a realistic chance of getting to an Ulster final. We can't blame the defenders that have been playing during the league as remember the two McKaigue's, Rogers, Heavron, McFaul and Ciaran Mullan all played against Tipp and we leaked 24 points so this all points towards the structure, tactics, kickout strategy and coaching of the team. As a group have not developed or progressed which makes sense when you look at the fact that Barton didn't change one thing in his backroom team from 2016 no change in coaches or new voices in training from last year. Its sad to say but there is lots of negativity at the minute towards the county team and i can't see that changing or supporters coming back onboard until there is big change.
c'mon Derry ya boys ya!

Derry Optimist

• View Profile
« Reply #56977 on: March 19, 2017, 08:02:24 PM »
 Regardless of the current trends in tactical play any   really competitive Senior inter county team must have a tight marking defensive system, a ball winning/playmaking middle third and a forward line all of whom can score points or goals from play when the occasion demands it.One weak link in that sequence of three elements means the chances of victory are severely diminished.

Last year when we had a more competitive midfield sector and a relatively potent forward line we failed not because of the ability of our defenders as individuals but because we failed to play a proper defensive system which had been in place up to two years ago.However the main additional negative factor this year is the absence of so many key players. The following eight defenders-all of whom would be scheduled either to start or come on during the course of a game have not been available during the past five league matches ie Gareth McKinless,Oisin Duffy,Brendan Rogers,Karl McKaigue, Chris McKaigue,Sean Leo McGoldrick,Kevin Johnston and Liam McGoldrick.

From the midfield/ middle third sector  the following six key panellists have been missing.ie Daniel Heavron,Ciaran McFaul,Emmett Bradley,Niall Holly,Christopher Bradley and latterly Mark
 Lynch have not been available.
At least ten of the above would be almost certain starters if management were able to select their best Derry fifteen.

No county in Ireland, with the possible exception of the top four counties, could absorb that high rate  of player haemorrhaging  from their panel and not find themselves in a similar scenario to Derry at present.
Hopefully we will have the Slaughtneil three back for the two remaining games and maybe Mark Lynch,Danny Heavron and Ciaran McFaul  will return for the last game. Their presence should at least make us more competitive as a side.It will then be the task of management and players to practise and then implement  a proper defensive system of play for the Tyrone championship game.

Slaughtneil have a very good defensive system of play. Surely their three county defenders along with present county management can put in place a similar strategy for the county team.

DERRYSFINEST

• View Profile
« Reply #56978 on: March 19, 2017, 08:10:43 PM »
I've asked this question before, what is Tony Scullions role in the county set up? I can only presume he is in as a defensive coach.

Rawhide

• View Profile
« Reply #56979 on: March 19, 2017, 10:01:06 PM »
As great a player Scullion was, he has been running round giving team talks to wannabe coached in his role in the Ulster council and most fools bought it. His coaching career has landed nothing and his managerial one is a car crash. Mc Guckian is of similar Ilk, achieved nothing as a manager or coach. Seriously what were we expecting from this inexperienced group. Barton should have cleaned out his back room team and tried to beefed it up with experienced proven people.
cccc is a true supporter lol

Mrs mills

• View Profile
« Reply #56980 on: March 19, 2017, 10:17:07 PM »
Name the proven people Rawhide

Rawhide

• View Profile
« Reply #56981 on: March 19, 2017, 10:26:30 PM »
Outside of winning All Ireland managers, and that's the wishful stuff, but being realistic for me it would be people who have proven themselves at winning senior club championships, or people who have had experience of managing or coaching at inter count level. Probably a mixture of both. How about a Tony Mc Entee with the likes of Mc Erlain or Cassidy or both, names off the top of my head to support my arguement. But get my drift. And that's just to get the ship steadied first.
cccc is a true supporter lol

Mountain Gael

• View Profile
« Reply #56982 on: March 19, 2017, 10:53:03 PM »
Another disappointing result today in galway after the down result. we are in deep trouble and heading for division 3.i believe mark craig played today. hope we get more lads back for the last 2 games in the league. anyone at game today. really worried for the tyrone match.

Mrs mills

• View Profile
« Reply #56983 on: March 20, 2017, 12:19:04 PM »
Will Stallion name his list of candidates before sundown?

tonesfirstandlast

• View Profile
« Reply #56984 on: March 20, 2017, 01:03:49 PM »
Outside of winning All Ireland managers, and that's the wishful stuff, but being realistic for me it would be people who have proven themselves at winning senior club championships, or people who have had experience of managing or coaching at inter count level. Probably a mixture of both. How about a Tony Mc Entee with the likes of Mc Erlain or Cassidy or both, names off the top of my head to support my arguement. But get my drift. And that's just to get the ship steadied first.

Definitely not Cassidy,  Rawhide. He's had two turns at and he was a disaster both times. Him and Coleman lost us an all Ireland in 2002 and then they walked out the following year. Great group of players about that time. Then the less we talk about his second coming the better.