Author Topic: Derry Club Football & Hurling  (Read 102807 times)

Real Talk

• View Profile
Re: Derry Club Football & Hurling
« Reply #570 on: January 16, 2018, 05:51:19 PM »

[/quote]
For the attention of my good friend "the ticklemister" and like -  minded historians.

Sean Larkin of Drumboe fame was born in Bellagherty in the parish of Ballinderry.His younger brother Paddy won a County Championship medal with   Ballinderry in 1927 and another one with the Loup, where he taught for many years, in 1936. When he was County Chairman in  1942 he refereed the County final between Magherafelt and Glenullin. The game  took place in Dungiven.The then County secretary  was future GAA President Paddy MacFlynn. Paddy MacFlynn was also playing for the Rossas that day.When he indulged in over robust play the County chairman had no hesitation in sending him off!They both travelled to and came home from the match together!The following week they again travelled together for the CCCCC meeting of the time.(The County secretary addressed the meeting telling them all which rule he had broken and what his suspension should be.He then sat outside the door  when, on the recommendation of his friend the County Chairman,  he was duly suspended!)

They remained firm and loyal friends for the rest of their lives.These South Derry men were made of stern stuff.

Incidentally Sean Larkin is buried in the Cemetery beside St Patrick's Church in the Loup.

Yes that's some story .... great stuff .... I love them stories that begin with "do you mind the time .......... "  as long as there is no one around to contradict them ?

Not at all like footballers and football matches .......... its " win win" all the way

RedandBlacks

• View Profile
« Reply #571 on: January 17, 2018, 04:02:54 PM »
Anyone hear about the shake up in the leagues for this season?

apparently to 2019 league will change from 16 division 1 teams 14 division 2 teams 8 division 3 teams to 12, 12 and 14.

meaning a serious amount of relegation's.

apparently clubs have no say in the matter

shawshank

• View Profile
« Reply #572 on: January 17, 2018, 05:47:41 PM »
Anyone hear about the shake up in the leagues for this season?

apparently to 2019 league will change from 16 division 1 teams 14 division 2 teams 8 division 3 teams to 12, 12 and 14.

meaning a serious amount of relegation's.

apparently clubs have no say in the matter

Your right, clubs have no control or power anymore, itís all about the county game. Think there is 9 weeks in late May, all June and part of July where there is no club league football, 9 weeks 😡 WTF is happening, meanwhile our county board is not advocating on behalf of our clubs, or if they are they are no gett8ng listened to.  In truth Croke Park call the shots, we are all sub serviants.

toby47

• View Profile
« Reply #573 on: January 18, 2018, 08:31:15 AM »
Teams are guaranteed 16 meaningful games in a season as it stands. 15 League and 1 Championship.

This year there is going to be 7 rounds of the league played from 4th April to 6th May.

Teams will have 45% of their games played in the first month, with 4 and a half months to play the remaining 10 games.

The 9 weeks Shawshank has mentioned above are not totally game free, the District competitions will be played during these months (as these are the weeks the county teams will be in action) The Larkin cup etc will be ran off over these 9 weeks i'm lead to believe with it being in a group stage format for extra games.

I think the craze of young players going to the USA for the summer is going to become even more popular with the first round of championship not pencilled in until weekend 6th-9th September.

Keyser soze

• View Profile
« Reply #574 on: January 18, 2018, 11:17:54 AM »
I must say I just completely fail to fathom the rationale for this.

The ratio of training to matches is already astronomical and this plan just seems to increase this.

Already half the league games are rammed into a 6 week window with the vast majority of footballers in Derry twiddling their thumbs all summer. Then the championship is rammed into whatever is left of the season's end.

Additionally the reduction in league numbers will obviously have a knock on effect on the championship draws as well. I think that the league structure is one of the strengths of Derry football, I really can't see how these changes will will do anything other than derail that.

lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #575 on: January 18, 2018, 11:27:55 AM »
Teams are guaranteed 16 meaningful games in a season as it stands. 15 League and 1 Championship.

This year there is going to be 7 rounds of the league played from 4th April to 6th May.

Teams will have 45% of their games played in the first month, with 4 and a half months to play the remaining 10 games.

The 9 weeks Shawshank has mentioned above are not totally game free, the District competitions will be played during these months (as these are the weeks the county teams will be in action) The Larkin cup etc will be ran off over these 9 weeks i'm lead to believe with it being in a group stage format for extra games.

I think the craze of young players going to the USA for the summer is going to become even more popular with the first round of championship not pencilled in until weekend 6th-9th September.

Players want to play games. If lads do go to America (who can blame them? - it's a great opportunity) it just gives someone else an opportunity. Players who stay at home don't want to be just training for weeks with no games. The larkin cup should give the clubs plenty of games without the pressure of worrying about relegation and it will allow clubs to blood young players in a competitive environment.

shawshank

• View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 18, 2018, 12:50:11 PM »

Players want to play games. If lads do go to America (who can blame them? - it's a great opportunity) it just gives someone else an opportunity. Players who stay at home don't want to be just training for weeks with no games. The larkin cup should give the clubs plenty of games without the pressure of worrying about relegation and it will allow clubs to blood young players in a competitive environment.

Lenny from your post its looks like you are not on the grass roots level of players, they are not interested in Larkin cups. Can you not see that club football is being year by year stripped. It is now two seasons. Preseason friendlies in March with 7 league games wrapped up by mid May, take a big break, season resumes in mid July with carnival football in between. Its all wrong and catered for 2% of the playing population. here's another sore point for me. The league resumes I believe on the weekend 15th July, right bang in the middle of the holidays of trades men and most businesses in the north. Choice; family holiday for the player with kids or has a partner, or even lads to go with mates for a break or not. They can't choose when they take their holidays. Club players bottom of the pile when it comes to their needs. You could of course argue its the same for the county player, the difference being they have a choice to be a county player, the club player has no choice, sub servient.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 12:52:41 PM by shawshank »

toby47

• View Profile
« Reply #577 on: January 18, 2018, 12:50:41 PM »

I never have, and never will criticise a player for going to America. 6-8 weeks, a few grand and a summer of a lifetime but their is no doubt it weakens teams when players go away and there will be clubs that are unhappy.

I'm also not sure young players are going to learn much by getting a few minutes in a Larkin cup game. I think it should be left as a pre season tournament and not used throughout May and June.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 12:53:24 PM by toby47 »

lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #578 on: January 18, 2018, 02:34:38 PM »

I never have, and never will criticise a player for going to America. 6-8 weeks, a few grand and a summer of a lifetime but their is no doubt it weakens teams when players go away and there will be clubs that are unhappy.

I'm also not sure young players are going to learn much by getting a few minutes in a Larkin cup game. I think it should be left as a pre season tournament and not used throughout May and June.

It's a compromise. The county players will not be available so at least players can get games during that period. How seriously they take those games is up to the players and clubs.

Keyser soze

• View Profile
« Reply #579 on: January 18, 2018, 03:27:31 PM »

It's a compromise. The county players will not be available so at least players can get games during that period. How seriously they take those games is up to the players and clubs.

How is it a compromise for the club player reducing the number of competitive games they get in a season? 

theticklemister

• '...... said yer man from the Daily Mail.'
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: January 18, 2018, 05:18:14 PM »
Any club secretaries out there who can verify the league structures?

Josey Wales

• View Profile
« Reply #581 on: January 18, 2018, 09:55:09 PM »
Barker and the complete County board donít give one dam about clubs.  Its all about the County and croke park.

Used to be clubs would have made a bit of much needed money by being given the odd club championship match.  They have taken all that now and the club even have to pay the ref for championship matches while the County board pocket all the gate recipts. 

Also im trying to remember but wasnít there a case recently where clubs voted a certain way for a motion, but our Country board delegated went down to croker and voted against the will of the club vote.  Can someone let me know what this motion was?

Champion The Wonder Horse

• Like the swiftest arrow whizzin from a bow
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: January 18, 2018, 11:08:49 PM »

For the attention of my good friend "the ticklemister" and like -  minded historians.

Sean Larkin of Drumboe fame was born in Bellagherty in the parish of Ballinderry.His younger brother Paddy won a County Championship medal with   Ballinderry in 1927 and another one with the Loup, where he taught for many years, in 1936. When he was County Chairman in  1942 he refereed the County final between Magherafelt and Glenullin. The game  took place in Dungiven.The then County secretary  was future GAA President Paddy MacFlynn. Paddy MacFlynn was also playing for the Rossas that day.When he indulged in over robust play the County chairman had no hesitation in sending him off!They both travelled to and came home from the match together!The following week they again travelled together for the CCCCC meeting of the time.(The County secretary addressed the meeting telling them all which rule he had broken and what his suspension should be.He then sat outside the door  when, on the recommendation of his friend the County Chairman,  he was duly suspended!)

They remained firm and loyal friends for the rest of their lives.These South Derry men were made of stern stuff.

Incidentally Sean Larkin is buried in the Cemetery beside St Patrick's Church in the Loup.

Yes that's some story .... great stuff .... I love them stories that begin with "do you mind the time .......... "  as long as there is no one around to contradict them ?

Not at all like footballers and football matches .......... its " win win" all the way
[/quote]

Love that story too. Disappointed though how the Larkin Cup has fallen through the gaps. What was once the most prestigious competition in senior south Derry football is now basically an irrelevance. Sean Larkin's memory deserves better.
I would re-ignite his memory and the prestige of the competition by having a full scale south Derry championship for the Sean Larkin Cup with the winners getting a bye into the all-county semi-final.
The Larkin Cup medal I possess is one of my proudest possessions, one that my father would have given his all for.

We stand with Enright and Larkin
With Daly and Sullivan bold.