Author Topic: Down Club Hurling & Football  (Read 3645420 times)

Smurfy123

• View Profile
Re: Down Club Hurling & Football
« Reply #28050 on: March 22, 2017, 04:37:36 PM »
I would like to see a change from a low scoring half forward for an out and out scoring machine who has proved it at the highest level
I would also like to see a more attacking player replace a more defensive midfielder tontry get more scores.(it's not as if we are not getting cleaved out here anyway so why not try a more attacking player)
We are the third worst scoring team in Ireland so I don't think looking for 2 more attacking players is really that bad?

stiff breeze

• View Profile
« Reply #28051 on: March 22, 2017, 05:10:43 PM »
The first two games there wasn't much evidence of a system in place , since then it's fairly evident imo that Mc Kernan  is now a full time sweeper with Murphy and Millar working the wings and closing ball carriers down . Turley and Carr provide that physical barrier at midfield too . The 5 guys in them positions are the best available for their respective roles ATM .

Smurfy123

• View Profile
« Reply #28052 on: March 22, 2017, 05:20:57 PM »
What physical barrier would that be?
Did you not see the Kildare midfield running through on Saturday night
We have Mckernan Murphy Turley Millar Carr and Maginn all dropping deep into our own defence would it not be better to get on more attacking players?
We are hardly playing the big boys in this division.Yes keep Mckernan Carr/Turley Murphy sweeping but let's add something going forward to help out o hagen and the odd time Johnstone

stiff breeze

• View Profile
« Reply #28053 on: March 22, 2017, 05:44:40 PM »
What physical barrier would that be?
Did you not see the Kildare midfield running through on Saturday night
We have Mckernan Murphy Turley Millar Carr and Maginn all dropping deep into our own defence would it not be better to get on more attacking players?
We are hardly playing the big boys in this division.Yes keep Mckernan Carr/Turley Murphy sweeping but let's add something going forward to help out o hagen and the odd time Johnstone

No I didn't ,

And yes we are playing the big boys at our level so to sacrifice defence for attack against them only goes 1 way in my eyes. The only player I see making way for Jerome is Ryan

Smurfy123

• View Profile
« Reply #28054 on: March 22, 2017, 05:50:33 PM »
Why would you take of a scoring threat in Ryan?
Jerome Ryan Barry are our only score getters
Take into account Mooney scored a lovely couple of points on Saturday night
I'm not haven a go at any player here I just think we need more scoring forwards on Sunday?

SHEEDY

• View Profile
« Reply #28055 on: March 22, 2017, 06:11:31 PM »
I'm not haven a go at any player here I just think we need more scoring forwards on Sunday?
100% smurfy. why would you take one of the best players in the county from the team? ryan and jerome need to start, paul devlin should be starting. mark poland needs to be getting more than 3/4 mimutes at the end. barry o hagan is the only scoring threat playing, your not going to win too many games playing like that. murphy and millar are honest players but offer very little on the scoreboard.
nil satis nisi optimum

rosskarr

• View Profile
« Reply #28056 on: March 23, 2017, 07:40:36 AM »
100% smurfy. why would you take one of the best players in the county from the team? ryan and jerome need to start, paul devlin should be starting. mark poland needs to be getting more than 3/4 mimutes at the end. barry o hagan is the only scoring threat playing, your not going to win too many games playing like that. murphy and millar are honest players but offer very little on the scoreboard.
  It'd be useful to see listed who has contributed to our scoring since the start of the League. We had been scoring well in the Mickey Mouse Cup.

Smurfy123

• View Profile
« Reply #28057 on: March 23, 2017, 08:46:25 AM »
I would think Barry O Hagan tops the scoring then Ryan Johnstone with Darragh O Hanlon probably third.Mooney would be fourth with 4-5 points then your are talking 1-2 points from Maginn Murphy Miller Carr McKernan.
6-7 points scored from our Midfield and half forward line in 5 games is a worrying statistic
Look at the Dublin half forward line in Connolly McMenimum and Flynn they would be looking 1-6 per game from those 3 plus they have a solid defence
I'm not saying we are anywhere near Dublin but I just feel we need to add something going forward this weekend

thewobbler

• View Profile
    • Balllyholland Harps GAC
« Reply #28058 on: March 23, 2017, 09:21:07 AM »
I would think Barry O Hagan tops the scoring then Ryan Johnstone with Darragh O Hanlon probably third.Mooney would be fourth with 4-5 points then your are talking 1-2 points from Maginn Murphy Miller Carr McKernan.
6-7 points scored from our Midfield and half forward line in 5 games is a worrying statistic
Look at the Dublin half forward line in Connolly McMenimum and Flynn they would be looking 1-6 per game from those 3 plus they have a solid defence
I'm not saying we are anywhere near Dublin but I just feel we need to add something going forward this weekend

What's that saying about not comparing yourself to others, for you'll only become vain or bitter?

If you're looking to draw comparisons, do it with D2 teams. Or even D1 teams that aren't Dublin!

Smurfy123

• View Profile
« Reply #28059 on: March 23, 2017, 02:45:58 PM »
Fair enough good point Wobbler
I'll not let on I know all other half forward lines in division 2
All I am saying is I would like to see 2 more attacking minded players to come into the team for the next 2 games?
And if we get hammered then go back to 12 behind the ball at least we know it does not work
Wobbler do you totally disagree?

thewobbler

• View Profile
    • Balllyholland Harps GAC
« Reply #28060 on: March 23, 2017, 05:24:53 PM »
Fair enough good point Wobbler
I'll not let on I know all other half forward lines in division 2
All I am saying is I would like to see 2 more attacking minded players to come into the team for the next 2 games?
And if we get hammered then go back to 12 behind the ball at least we know it does not work
Wobbler do you totally disagree?

Yeah I would agree.

We need at least 3 genuine scoring threats on the field, otherwise all the defensive / counter-attack game does is put even more pressure on the defence to keep the opposition in check.

Ideally these lads would be workhorses too, but if 12 men can't protect their own 45, then we are in trouble.

rosskarr

• View Profile
« Reply #28061 on: March 25, 2017, 06:20:44 PM »
Poland and Davison should start.
Why either of these?

whitegoodman

• View Profile
« Reply #28062 on: March 25, 2017, 07:58:59 PM »
The best forward in the county by a distance should at this stage be starting and its strange that people would see the likes of Davidson ahead of him.

I do agree that there needs to be someone up front to help O Hagan at the expense of one of murphy or Miller.  I'd also have Devlin on but at the expense of Maginn rather than a midfielder.  McParland for Carr as well.

Smurfy123

• View Profile
« Reply #28063 on: March 25, 2017, 08:07:24 PM »
On the basis of what would you have McParland in white?

whitegoodman

• View Profile
« Reply #28064 on: March 25, 2017, 09:46:41 PM »
His performances at midfield for Glenn last year